• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninaured rented a car and got in an accident, what should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

undamun

What is the name of your state? California (CA)

I rented a car and declined LDW insurances (UMP, SLI, PPP) offered by the car rental company then I got a car accident. I reaended the other party’s car. Nobody got hurt or injured but the rental car was damaged and other party’s car got some scratches and dnets on the rear hood. I used a MasterCard for my rental. The cost of rental car damage is about $4500.

Then I got a notice from the DMV informing me to complete the attached form SR-1A. I filled it out incompletely and sent it back to the DMV. Then I received a notice from the DMV last week that my driver license will be suspended for one year for the reason below:

“ The department has received your SR-1 report. The suspension of your driving privilege under section 16004A of the vehicle code (v.c.) for failure to report an accident is ended effective Sep 29, 2005.

However, your driving privilege remains suspended under section 16070 v.c effective Sep 29, 2005 because of your financial responsibility at the time of the accident was either not received or was not acceptable.

If you were not insured you may qualify to apply for a restricted license during the first year of suspension (see enclosed restricted license information and proof of filing instructions), or you can remain suspended for one year.”

What should I do not to have my driver license suspended? Can I resubmit SR-1 or more info? From my understanding, the mastercard will have an insurance covered for me, what can I do?

Any advice, I'd be very appreciated.

Who's Liable?

You are screwed...

did you have ANY car rental at all? Or were you just going thru the Mastercard insurnace?

IF you did NOT have any insurance of your own, you need to read the fine print on your MC in regards to rental car coverage... Some cards will NOT cover you in certain situations, accident on private property, etc.

If you find that your MC rental coverage will NOT cover you, you will be financially responsible for the damages to the car, and they WILL come after you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">