• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skyewhite

Last November I rear ended a van and did not dispute that I was at fault for the damage caused. I was uninsured but I provided the other party with my contact info. The other party phoned the police but I was informed that the police would not be filling out a report because the other party had conveyed to them that the accident had not caused any personal injuries and was not serious in nature. After the accident I was never contacted by the other party's insurance Co. (SAFECO). Then, in Aug., I received a letter from Credit Collection Services (CCS) requesting that I remit $2,638.64 for the claim. When I called about the notice, both CCS and Safeco refused and/or neglected to furnish me with info regarding what I was paying for and I had to contact the Insurance Commission to force them to supply the info to me. Once I finally received the info I found discrepencies in the payments made. There were hospital charges that were paid in July (7 months after the accident)that did not give an admit or release date, there was over $600.00 in car rental fees, etc. I wrote a letter to Safeco requesting clarification, however they merely wrote back saying they didnt feel any of the charges were disputable. I am not sure how to proceed now. Should I pay them the money even though the other party told the police there were no personal injuries, the car rental fees are unreasonable for the damage done, I was never contacted by SAFECO, they refused to give me relevant information and threatened to suspend my license etc. if I didnt pay? Help!

What SAFCO is doing is called subrogation, collecting what they paid out plus any deductables their insured incurred. The amount is negotiable in most cases. First, call the Insurance Commissioner in your state and ask what your rights are as a subrogee. Then. in writing, request a copy of the damage estimate, car rental bill, medical bills, proof their insured incurred his deductable and a breakdown of their payments. Then, call them, and without commiting to an amount or whether you will actually pay, tell them you cannot pay the full amount. See if they will reduce it enough to make it worth paying it all now. If they don't tell them you can only afford to pay monthly and have them make the offer then settle on what you can afford. But, only after they send you what you asked for. Remember that you were the at-fault party and your were uninsured. They can and very well may sue you, but it's cheaper for them to settle. If they do sue you all of the above is aplicable to the attorney's too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">