• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured accident but not my fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scubapro5

What is the name of your state? Ca.

I recently bought a used car just before xmas and with all the holiday stuff going on I forgot to add it to my insurance policy.

I live in Ca. but drove the car to Nevada for the weekend and a guy made a left turn from a Gas station right into me while I was going straight down the road and it was clearly his fault.

I put a claim into his insurance company yesterday and I want to know what I should expect from his insurance adjuster,if he will just say I was in the wrong and not pay since I was uninsured?

My fience was injured in the accident if that matters in what the adjuster will say or do.

And if I will be ticketed for driving without insurance even if I was in another state?

Thanks for the advise!

Lynx 36

Quote: "I put a claim into his insurance company yesterday and I want to know what I should expect from his insurance adjuster,if he will just say I was in the wrong and not pay since I was uninsured?"

They will not decline to pay property damage b/c you didn't have insurance. As far as your girlfriends injury is concerned it depends on state law. In KY if you are injured in a car accident and have no insurance you are responsible f/ your own medical bills up to $10,000. The insurance company of the liable party would pay anything over that amount, but there would be no payment f/ pain and suffering either. Most states have laws similar to this.

Quote: "And if I will be ticketed for driving without insurance even if I was in another state?"

Probably, you deserve to. People that drive w/o insurance cause a lot of problems and grief when they are involved in accidents. Be a good citizen, go out and get insurance before someone sues your butt off.

Scubapro5

Thanks for the response!

So since my girlfriend was a passanger of my car she should be able to claim her injuries even though I(the driver) was uninsured during the accident.

And if so would the insurance company pay for the medical bills,pain and suffering,and the lost wages from her work?

(I have always been insured but forgot to add the new car to the policy)

2002z28ssconv

I live in Flordia but your rules shouldn't be too different. I'm covered under my current policy in any vehicle I purchase for a period of 30 days after the purchase. Even if I didn't notify State Farm that I bought the car yet.

Also, your wife might be covered for her injuries under her own policy if she has one.

Scubapro5

2002z28ssconv said:
I live in Flordia but your rules shouldn't be too different. I'm covered under my current policy in any vehicle I purchase for a period of 30 days after the purchase. Even if I didn't notify State Farm that I bought the car yet.

Also, your wife might be covered for her injuries under her own policy if she has one.
I thought I had only three days to notify my insurance. I better go read my policy.

Thanks!

Scubapro5

I found a policy provisions pamplet but it does not show how many days I have to declare the newly aquired car.

If anyone knows how many days I have with "Mercury" insurance please post.

Thanks!

teflon_jones

Call your insurance company and ask them. You can always phrase it as a "I'm going to be buying a new car soon" question.

Scubapro5

Thanks everyone for your help and responses!

I found out I was covered and the other persons insurance just got in touch with me and all will be taken care of!

I just hope they pay for all the damages but that would be another thread if I need help there lol

Thanks Again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">