• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

opal5

MY husband was hit by another driver who was at fault. After the accident we found out that we weren't inured. State Farm cancelled without notice. The other insurance co. is refusing payment. Our car was totaled. What can we do?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Why was your insurance cancelled? That is where you need to start? If you were not notified and the cancellation was not your fault (i..e moved or missed payment), then you have a claim against your insurance company for a breach of their duty to you.

Sooo.....you contact the Insurance Commissioner, the BEtter Business BUreau and get a lawyer.

O

opal5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawrat:
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Why was your insurance cancelled? That is where you need to start? If you were not notified and the cancellation was not your fault (i..e moved or missed payment), then you have a claim against your insurance company for a breach of their duty to you.

Sooo.....you contact the Insurance Commissioner, the BEtter Business BUreau and get a lawyer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O

opal5

lawrat: my insurance was cancelled after I paid 1/2 of the bi premium. I paid in July it was cancelled at the end of Aug. I did not receive a bill for the second 1/2 of the prem. due. They have always sent a reminder , this time they did not. After the cancellation they did not even inform me that it was cancelled. I have been driving my two children and a neighbor child to school, What would have happened if I had the accident?! This whole thing just stinks of someone not doing the right thing and I feel like I'm being screwed over!

L

lawrat

Well...they may have been a little lax with the reminder BUT you are the one who owes an absolute duty to make sure your insurance premiums are paid and the policy is NOT cancelled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">