• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured auto, insured drunk motorist at fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

62tbird

Uninsured auto driven by insured drunk motorist

What is the name of your state? WI

My son was hit by a drunk driver. Fortunately no one was hurt. The other driver ran a stop sign and hit our truck in the left rear wheel. The other driver than took off. My son followed the antifreeze trail 2 blocks to guys trailer to see him stumble out of the car. The guy’s front bumper, grill and license plate were still lying in the road. The guy was charged with OWI, fleeing and running stop sign.

The car that the other guy was driving was his girlfriend’s car. He gave the officer his insurance company, it was understood that this was her insurance on the car until I called and reported the accident to the insurance company. It turns out it his insurance policy, but that car is not on his policy. The car is not on any insurance policy.

My question is, does his insurance have to pay for my pickup even though the car was not on his policy? The cost to fix the pickup will exceed it's value ($3500). Totaled.

I dropped collision on the pickup because with my son as primary driver on it collision was adding up to more than the value fast. I took a chance, if it had been my sons fault or I had done it I would be willing to eat the loss but not when it is someone else’s fault.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">