• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured borrower

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babybootiecall

What is the name of your state? I live in Pennsylvania .
My parents had gotten me a car for my 16th birthday. The car was in their name as was the insurance. I regrettably let my boyfriend who didn't have a license at the time, which was Dec. 24th 2002, drive it from my work to his house.. about 5 miles. He took it to the store up the street and had a car pass him on the wrong side of the road,, which caused a non reportable accident. The other party claimed they were feeling fine.. they had a bigger newer car.. the damage to it was minimal. He had already been charged for driving the without a license about a year ago. Yet today Nov. 30th 2004 I received a letter from the constable stating that him. my parents and I are being sued for an uninsured motorist claim and medical from the other party. My car was insured at the time.. full coverage. Can they sue us for this? How can we all be held responsible if my parents had no say in my boyfriend using this car, they didn't even know it was happening?

racer72

Your parents were probably the legal owners of the vehicle which can make them liable. Contact the insurance company in effect at the time, if the insurance was valid they are obligated to provide an attorney for you.

I co-sign with racer72. But I have a question Op stated that this accident was non-reported....would that have an affect other party's claim for damages?

Sweetie why oh why did you let him drive the car?? :eek:

(sorry to chime in, but...)

Additionally... since he didn't have a license, what made you think that he was capable of driving without getting into an accident?? Love?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">