• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured...but she hit me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyphi

Michigan accident

I am currently financing a vehicle. I was involved in an auto accident on 6/10/07 with another vehicle. My vehicle was rear-ended in a construction zone, the person that caused the accident was on a cell phone and not paying attention. The impact of the rear-end collision caused my vehicle to hit the vehicle in front of me...and as a result I have front and rear-end damage. The problem is that at the time of the accident I didn't have any insurance on my vehicle. Will the person that caused the accident be liable to pay for damages to my vehicle...Or am I screwed?

moburkes

Michigan accident

I am currently financing a vehicle. I was involved in an auto accident on 6/10/07 with another vehicle. My vehicle was rear-ended in a construction zone, the person that caused the accident was on a cell phone and not paying attention. The impact of the rear-end collision caused my vehicle to hit the vehicle in front of me...and as a result I have front and rear-end damage. The problem is that at the time of the accident I didn't have any insurance on my vehicle. Will the person that caused the accident be liable to pay for damages to my vehicle...Or am I screwed?
You're screwed. You can only sue the at fault driver for up to $500 towards your deductible. I don't think you can sue if you didn't have insurance. I'll look.

edit: It looks like you will be able to sue for up to $500.

Last edited:

cyphi

Insurance is such a rip off...I've paid for years and had no accidents...I want some of that money back to fix my car...

cheaters

::confused:

moburkes

Interesting thought. Based on your logic, if you only get what you paid into the program, if you have a serious accident, the insurance company shouldn't pay more than your premiums. Therefore, you shouldn't have purchased it. Instead, you should have put the money in a savings account until you needed it. So, get the money out of your savings account and pay for the damage.

I think the rip off is the fact that you live in a state in which you are responsible for repairing the damage to your own vehicle, and you didn't keep it insured. You know that your finance company can repo your vehicle because of this, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">