• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured in Car Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beb4Beb

What is the name of your state? Arizona

In March 2002 I was in an auto accident and had no insurance. Because I had no insurance during the time period before this, I didn't know that my registration had been suspended on the vehicle. I thought I was going through a green light but the lady in the other car said I went through a red light as she was turning right and hit the side of her car. She had a friend in the car and I was alone, so I have no witnesses. There was no police report filed. I'm afraid that from the stress of the accident I may have told the insurance company that even though I didn't think I was at fault I would take care of it since I didn't have any insurance. The woman gave me some quotes from her auto body estimate and they were a thousand or two dollars less than the actual repair costs. I probably should have seeked legal advice a long time ago. Is there any suggestions that you have for me to get the amount reduced or other advice that may help in this situation.

JETX

"Is there any suggestions that you have for me to get the amount reduced or other advice that may help in this situation."
*** Nope. But get ready to be sued if you don't pay for the damages you caused the other driver.

Oh, and you might still hear from the state regarding your driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle.

K

knotcops

Beb4Beb said:
Anyone else?
JETX pretty well summed it up!

You will be notified by the State that an SR-22 needs to be carried for 3 years. This is a financial responsibility filing that your insurance carrier will give you proof of. You MUST keep insurance in force during the entire 3 year period. If you do not, the 3 year period will start all over again when you get reinsured. Conceivably, it is possible you could be carrying an SR-22 for the rest of your life!

B

Beb4Beb

We've already been carrying the SR-22 on the driver for the past 1.5 years now, so that hasn't been an issue.

We're not trying to dodge the issue, but it was a panic moment when wer were clearly in the wrong. Just because you shoot yourself in the foot doesn't mean you want to amputate the leg. We're just trying to settle the manner since we are able to now.

I do appreciate the advice we've received so far and hope to hear more if there is something further to be said.

K

knotcops

Beb4Beb said:
We've already been carrying the SR-22 on the driver for the past 1.5 years now, so that hasn't been an issue.

We're not trying to dodge the issue, but it was a panic moment when wer were clearly in the wrong. Just because you shoot yourself in the foot doesn't mean you want to amputate the leg. We're just trying to settle the manner since we are able to now.

I do appreciate the advice we've received so far and hope to hear more if there is something further to be said.

If you have already been carrying the SR-22 and have had a lapse in the coverage, the time frame for the SR-22 will start all over again.

As far as the damage to the other car, your stuck.

B

Beb4Beb

The accident was 1 year and 8 months ago I think, and right after that we were carrying insurance. 1.5 years :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">