• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Deductable Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Littlemiss02

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was recently in a car accident and was at fault . My insurance had lapsed 3 days so the old man that I hit had the same insurance as I did. Anyway, he keeps calling and harrassing me. First, he told me the damages was in the amount of 4400.00. The insurance contacted me and said that the damages came to 968.00 of which he had to pay 200.00 deductable. In other words, the old man was trying to shaft me. The insurance company sent him a check for 768.00 and he is calling me wanting the 200.00 deductable right now. I contacted the insurance company and they told me DO NOT under any circumstances pay him any money that he should not even be contacting me because it is between the insurance company and me. They said that he would be reimbursed for his 200.00 when I pay them, being in payments or in full. My question is why is this old codger trying to harrass me. I have told him that he needs to call the insurance company and talk to them but he still insists on me paying the 200.00. If the insurance company tells me not to pay him that he will be reimbursed, can he still call me and try to get the money out of me? I am a single mom who just had a string of bad luck and I really don't need this. Please help!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

He's contacting you because the $200.00 is HIS money. He paid that amount to get his car fixed, and had to pay a $200.00 deductible out of his own pocket.

I don't know why the insurance company is telling you what they're telling you, but the $200.00, and how it's collected, is none of their business. He can get the money directly from you now, or he can sue you.

If you don't pay him, and he wins a judgment against you in court, the judgment will appear on your credit report. Plus, he can have your wages garnished.

I'd pay the old guy, and get him off your back. Use a bank cashier's check so there's proof and a paper trail that you've paid him.

What's holding you up?

IAAL

R

reddenbakker

Little miss:

how long would $968 pay for your car insurance?

Now you will get a notice from the Motor vehicle dept probably suspending your drivers license for driving without insurance, thereby doubling or tripling your low rates you had before, since now you will probably have to file a sr 22 and get high risk insurance....

So you need to get a second job and cut way back on expenses for the next 3 years. I guess the father of your child has no money either....

You would be wise to consider moving back in with your parents/family to save money.

Last edited:
L

Littlemiss02

Uninsured Motorists Deductable

Hey Reddenbakker your are obviously a man who does not have kids and must have it made. I said that my insurance had a lapse in it , I did not say that I did not pay it and therefore you don't know my situation so your advice is not needed. To I am always liable, I am a single mom and doing the best that I can and I have to feed my daughter and give her shelter and that is what is holding me up. I am not asking for sympathy just wanted some advice but you guys must not know what it is like to have bills.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Uninsured Motorists Deductable

Littlemiss02 said:

To I am always liable:

I am a single mom and doing the best that I can and I have to feed my daughter and give her shelter and that is what is holding me up.

MY RESPONSE: What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? When you damage someone else's property, you're responsible to pay for the damages. The old man doesn't care about your situation, and neither do I. There are a lot of people on this planet that take care of their children, and don't have much money. But, that doesn't give you a "license" to not pay for the damages you cause. Where's your logic in your statement?

I am not asking for sympathy

MY RESPONSE:

And I didn't give you any. You can't go around in this life causing damages, and believe that people should have sympathy for you. Life doesn't work that way, and we don't care about your fiscal problems. Pay your just debts!

just wanted some advice but you guys must not know what it is like to have bills.

MY RESPONSE:

And, I gave you my advice. That's right, you're unique in this world, and no one has bills to pay but you. But, I really think you came here for some help to duck your responsibilities. We don't do that.

Why not set up a monthly payment plan with the old guy? You know, "good faith" goes a long, long, way in this life.

IAAL

Last edited:

JETX

Something else to consider....

The reason that the insurance company is asking you to not reimburse their policyholders for his deductible is that they are going to sue you for THEIR damages (the amount that they had to pay in their policyholders claim) due to your failure to have insurance.

The are very likely going to expect you to pay them the full amount of the claim that they paid, and then they will reimburse their policyholders deductible from the judgment.

By paying the policyholder directly, they are afraid that the policyholder will either give you a release from liability or will decide to not show up at court if requested.

L

Littlemiss02

Uninsured Motorists Deductable

TO IAAL I did not say that I was not going to pay the old man, I just wanted to know why the insurance was telling me not do pay him and just wanted to know what the options were. I have read a lot of replies that you give people and you are about the most rude and obnoxious person that could give advice to someone. We don't ask for sympathy nor do we ask for your HIGH and MIGHTY attitude. Yes, we know that we are responsible for our debts and yes some of us have every intention to pay those debts but you act like you are above us or something. I could really care less if you care about my situation or not but I will tell you that being a single mom is hard and all you can do is the best you can. I just hope that one day you might be in a situation and someone gives you the raw deal. Sometimes bad things happen to people who try in this world and that is what I am doing. I know that being a single mom does not release me from my debts, nor was I trying to weasel out of the debt. Thank you for being so judgemental and good day.

K

Karen Su

Littlemiss,

The man might not have the $200 anymore than you had the money for your insurance. If it was ME I would pay him BEFORE the insurance co. I have a feeling that they will go after you for the money they payed to get his car fixed, as well as the $200 for him. Of course they will take their money first, and give him his money last. The old man might not have a year to wait for his $200.

Karen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">