• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured at fault accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

neelam

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? MI

I am an international student and am not sure about accident claims and all. i recently had an accident where i missed a stop sign. i hit another car which was ruined completely. my car was gone as well. the other car appeared to be new, and it was a 4 wheel drive. i was injured, but the other person wasn't, luckily.
The main thing is that i had no insurance. my insurance expired in sept and i had the accident in the 1st week of December.
so far i only received medical bills n towing bills.
>can anyone tell me what i should expect.
>i am scared that they might take my brother's car, as i was driving his other car. Can they ?
>and also scared abt the costs i might have to pay or get sued. can they access my bank account.?
> should i contact the other driver and negotiate or wait until the insurance company goes after me?
>what are the chances of suing- and what happens if i can't afford to pay for the damages to the other driver's car?
i have 4 main questions. really appreciate the answers as well as addition information.

JETX

"can anyone tell me what i should expect."
*** Yes. You are very likely going to get an extensive education in civil law (when you get sued) and possibly criminal law (when the police find out you were driving without required insurance).

"i am scared that they might take my brother's car, as i was driving his other car. Can they ?"
*** No. But the state may revoke his registration for allowing a non-insured driver.

"and also scared abt the costs i might have to pay or get sued. can they access my bank account.?"
*** If they get a judgment (and they will), yes.

"should i contact the other driver and negotiate or wait until the insurance company goes after me?"
*** Your choice. And you will also get to wait for the police to arrest you, as soon as they realize you are without insurance.

"what are the chances of suing-"
*** Largely depends on YOUR actions.

"and what happens if i can't afford to pay for the damages to the other driver's car?"
*** You will very likely get sued.

lwpat

"i am scared that they might take my brother's car, as i was driving his other car. Can they ?"

Did your brother have insurance on the vehicle?

N

neelam

thanks for reply

thanks for ur reply..
so u have any suggections as to what i can do
and i would really appreciate other people's comments

JETX

" so u have any suggections as to what i can do"
*** Yeh, contact the other party and PAY for ALL their 'damages'. That means to fix their car (property damage), pay for a rental car while theirs is in the shop and pay ALL their medical claims. Get a signed release from them.

Then learn that in AMERICA, we expect you to obey the laws. If you can't, then you will be provided with the opportunity to return to India, where insurance is optional.

N

neelam

i haven't been contacted by the other party yet.. it has been almost 1 n a half months..
what is that supposed to mean.. i had an insurance which ended the month before.. is it why this is takin more time..?

really appreciate comments

N

neelam

My brother has insurance for his car.. i was driving his other car.. i had a car n we were tryin to sell my brother's 2nd car, which i was driving that day.. the insurance for this car had expired a month ago.
let me know if this helps, n thanks

K

kay1330

a law is a law, does not matter that you had insurance at one time, you have to pay for it always,to be protected, we have to as citizens of the united states, so should you

N

neelam

hi,
i understand that .. i was just tryin to say that i know insurance is vital.. i know that n even more rite now..
all i need is to know what does it mean that the insurance company has still not contacted me. what should i do.. wait?
please reply soon.

ps: i already wrote abt this in the post prior to this one. can anyone let me know

JETX

The delay in contacting you may be caused by anything from an oversight on their part, or it could be that the injured party is still gathering all their bills so that they can file a lawsuit against you. Don't worry, they have up to 2 years (most states) to file a lawsuit against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">