• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured, hit car, what is my liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EricJohn1967

What is the name of your state?

In Ohio slid on ice almost 2 years ago, now live in another state, and hit a parked car denting door, no one in car. No car insurance at the time because could not afford it, but needed to drive to work and such. Notice came from Ohio court to respond to a lawyer representing the insurance company of the hit car and copy the court. No police report was fired nor did I sign anything. Knew person at the time through boy scouts who told me not to worry about it as he was insured against uninsured drivers. I Had been pulled over by police for speeding earlier in month and officer knew i was uninsured, no ticket, nothing came of it. Seems the Amount asked for almost meets kelly blue book value of 1996 vehicle yet dent was only in door. I was considering asking for a reasonable payment plan, but how? Amount also appears excessive. What am I liable for and what should I do beyond contacting a lawyer? What do they have to pursue against me as evidence and if I admit guilt what could happen to me? I did hit the car an dwould pay afair amount, but worry on legal implications and was told "do not worry about it" by vehicle owner. Never gave license info or anything or filed report. Help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">