• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UNINSURED MOTORIST

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnnybravo

MY HUSBAND AND I WERE IN A ACCIDENT THIS PAST MONDAY. THE DRIVER OF THE OTHER CAR RAN A YIELD SIGN AND BROADSIDED OUR CAR. I RECIEVED MULTIPLE BRUISES AND HEAD INJURY. WE OBTAINED THE POLICE REPORT TODAY AND SHE HAS NO INSURANCE. MY CAR IS IN THE SHOP BEING FIXED. SHE THE OTHER DRIVER WAS CITED FOR FAILURE TO YIELD. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS OTHER THAN HAVING MY INSURANCE GO AFTER HER. CAN I TAKE HER TO PEOPLE'S COURT TO OBTAIN MONETARY DAMAGES FOR PAIN AND SUFFERING AND THE COST OF MY CAR? I AM ANGRY BECAUSE I GAVE HER A CALL AND SHE TOLD ME THAT HER ATTORNEY WOULD BE CONTACTING ME AND WHY AM I CALLING HER? SOME NERVE HUH? PLEASE REPLY

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

She is actually doing the smart thing by telling you her lawyer will be contacting you.

As to small claims court (if this is what you mean), there are jurisdictional limits as to how much you can recover. This varies with each state but is usually no more than 5,000.

I don't know which state you are from so I cannot give you an exact amount. Your best bet is to remain calm, keep as many records as you can and have your insurance pay your stuff off and let them decide to go after her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">