• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Motorist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schippyeyes

What is the name of your state? VA

A friend of mine has a valid driver's license, but does not own a vehicle, and, therefore has no need for auto insurance coverage. She wishes to borrow my vehicle for a week or so. My vehicle is properly registered and insured. What would happen if she were involved in an accident in my vehicle and it was her fault? Would my insurance cover whatever is needed? Do I have to do anything special with my insurance company in order to allow my friend to borrow my vehicle?

Thanks.

justalayman

Call your insurance company and ask them. Policies differ.

Be forewarned though, having insurance does not remove any libility you may have should a claim against you, as the owner, be valid.
Don't take this as you being automatically liable for any and all situations should your friend wreck your car but there are situations where you could end up with a claim against you.

ashkyla

Check with your insurance company about whether or not Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is part of your policy or not.

If it's not, it's probably in your best interests to get it, because it will cover most situations with a non-owner operating your vehicle, should anything happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">