• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured motorist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maded

What is the name of your state? AZ
what do you do if the person that caused the accident doesn't have insurance?...The vehicle being used is not under their ownership.

T

Trucking Mad

More info needed!

maded said:
what do you do if the person that caused the accident doesn't have insurance?...The vehicle being used is not under their ownership.
:rolleyes: There are a lot of things you could do! First you need to give some details if you want a coherent answer.:cool:

Betty

Yes, we could use some additional information.
Do you have uninsured motorist coverage on your ins. that pays your expenses when hit by an uninsured driver?

maded

I have uninsured motorist insurance, but if i use that; my insurance will increase. How can I have that person pay for damages without costing me money?

Last edited:

Zetetick

maded said:
Ok, I'll take a shot at this (with very little to go by).:confused:
The other person was driving someelses (uninsured) vehicle?
Caused an accident (by hitting your vehicle?).
You want to know what are your options?
Do You have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your policy?
Please answer these, with some detail!

bus23

i think i understand, and if not, ive got a question....

i think he is asking what happens when the vehicle is owned by him, and insured by him, and he lets someone else, who in this case is not insured, but im assuming liscensed, drives the car, and gets in an accident... correct me if im wrong....

averad

I think what the OP is saying is:

1) Op was driving his car and was hit by someone else.
2) The someone else who hit the op car does not have insurance.
3) The other person does not own the car he/she was driving.

Is that correct? Please post more information about your accident.

I know in some states it is illegal to raise a members rates based on an accident that the member had no fault in.

Jeffery

this happened to my daughter

I live in Washington State. My daughter was hit by an uninsured driver several months ago. This is what happened.

The other driver had no insurance, was not a citizen of the U.S. and it was her fault. She was not the registered owner. We assume she bought a car and didn't transfer the title. The insurance company said the registered owner was liable. They never contacted the driver of the car.

The registered owner was no where to be found. The insurance company basically made my daughter pay the deductable and gave up on everything else.

Basically, according to the insurance company, the registered owner was responsible for damages. Appearently the insurance company was to recover those damages but they gave up on it. We paid the deductable. Incidently, the driver that had no insurance was not cited for no insurance. My daughter forgot to put her insurance card in her car and was cited for no proof of insurance. Something smells fishy. That is when I got involved and had to go to the Chief of police and fix things.

If your not happy with the results of the insurance company, then you should take your own legal action. You may want to also look into a different compay that has excellent feedback. Sometimes cheaper isn't always better.

Some added advise to people selling a car. I would recommend you ask to see a drivers licence and transfer the title together. Send in the part of the title that states that you sold the car and to who.

maded

I was hit by an unisured motorist.
The owner of the vehicle that hit me is also unisured.
I am insured, if I call my insurance company to file a claim; will this increase my premium?
Even though it is not my fault?

averad

I have had two accidents and <b>neither was my fault.</b> Does the company have the right to raise my premiums?

The premiums could be going up because of something other than your accidents. The company may have been approved for a general increase. Check with your company about the reason for the increase. If you are not satisfied with the response, you can always check with other companies and see if they can give you a better rate.

http://insurance.freeadvice.com/insurance_help.php/102_171_629.htm

Call your insurance and ask.

Betty

If you had accidents that weren't your fault & your premium was increased, I would call the ins. co. & ask them why the increase. Sometimes due to the increase in the cost of repairing cars, etc. the co. will raise premiums as a group. I would check to be sure you were not singled out & if you were, why since the accidents were not your fault.

check your state insurance commission, in most states your premiums cannot be increased based on you filing an uninsured motorist claim.

DGO1223

Meatcutter said:
check your state insurance commission, in most states your premiums cannot be increased based on you filing an uninsured motorist claim.
This is exactly what our lawyer told us.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">