• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured motorist accident - policy limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dallaskat

What is the name of your state? California
Am I able to know the policy limit of the driver i was passenger in a head on collision with? If the policy limit is $50,000.00 could my settlement request be up to that amount?

lwpat

Your settlement request should be the amount of your actual damages plus a reasonable figure for pain and suffering.

JETX

I agree 100% with lwpat on this......
But the literal answer to your question is... yes, you can claim any amount you want to... even OVER the limit of their coverage. Of course, any award should only be the ACTUAL damages you incurred (current and future medical, lost wages, pain/suffering/ etc.).

dallaskat

does lawyer know limit?

would my lawyer know the policy limit? I dont think im getting as much as i am deserved. im not even getting the dollar amount of my wages lost and my lawyer doesnt seem to push the issue? He is trying to get me to settle.

JETX

dallaskat said:
would my lawyer know the policy limit?
Your attorney SHOULD know their policy limit... but not all opposing insurance company's willingly release that information as they know claimants will do just as you are doing..... trying to inflate their claim to the highest limit.

I dont think im getting as much as i am deserved.
Simple answer.... then reject their offer.

im not even getting the dollar amount of my wages lost and my lawyer doesnt seem to push the issue?
Maybe because he doesn't agree with your claim amount.

He is trying to get me to settle.
Maybe he is being realistic.

Okay, bottom line.... here are your options:
1) Get the maximum they will offer and settle, or
2) Reject their offer and go to court and let others determine what is reasonable. This could be more, or less, than the current amount offered.
And if you don't like your attorney, go find another one.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">