• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Need Help ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmcjjc

What is the name of your state? VA

About two wwek ago my husband was backing out of our parking lot and someone came around the corner and he rear ended them. At the time he had no insurance. We are trying to work with the person he hit and they are being very difficult. After speaking with her insurance company we have agreed to pay for damages and the insurance company is no longer involved. She has threatend to take us to court if we do not pay in a week. I let her know today we would pay tomorrow and she said that she is not happy with that. My questions are...
1. Since we have agreed to pay, what else can we do to make sure we do not have to go to court?
2. Are we responsible for a rental car and can we decide on how much?

Happy Trails

dmcjjc said:
What is the name of your state? VA

About two wwek ago my husband was backing out of our parking lot and someone came around the corner and he rear ended them. At the time he had no insurance. We are trying to work with the person he hit and they are being very difficult. After speaking with her insurance company we have agreed to pay for damages and the insurance company is no longer involved. She has threatend to take us to court if we do not pay in a week. I let her know today we would pay tomorrow and she said that she is not happy with that. My questions are...
1. Since we have agreed to pay, what else can we do to make sure we do not have to go to court?
2. Are we responsible for a rental car and can we decide on how much?
If she is going to take you to court if you don't pay within a week, and you are going to pay her tomorrow, what's the problem?

Yes, you would be responsible for a rental car, until her car is repaired. You need to work out a fair agreement with her.

Hope you both learned your lesson.

Who's Liable?

No she would not be responsible for her rental car... If the lady they hit did NOT have rental car coverage on her insurance, she cannot make them pay for her rental... She should have bought the rental car coverage with her insurance... IF she did have rental car coverage, then the insurance would pay for it, and go after the at fault party...

JETX

Who's Liable? said:
No she would not be responsible for her rental car... If the lady they hit did NOT have rental car coverage on her insurance, she cannot make them pay for her rental
And where the hell did you get that???
The 'at fault' party is liable for ALL reasonable and real damages incurred due to his/her actions. In this case, the cost of a rental car would be valid 'damages' and the at-fault party IS liable for them.

Who's Liable?

Somethings a little fishy here.. under VA law, a person has to get uninsured motorists coverage... That being the case, their insurance company would be paying for it, and should have already paid for it, and in turn should be coming after you...

Happy Trails

Who's Liable? said:
Somethings a little fishy here.. under VA law, a person has to get uninsured motorists coverage... That being the case, their insurance company would be paying for it, and should have already paid for it, and in turn should be coming after you...
The insurance company is no longer involved; since the OP and the damaged party have agreed to work it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">