• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured and needs advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imagad

What is the name of your state? california
I was in an accident last year that I felt was not my fault. I was uninsured at the time of the accident. I've been told that without insurance I am at fault regardless of who was at fault.
The accident happened at night on the freeway in the rain, an unidentified driver spun out across traffic causing all lanes to brake to avoid the car. I rear ended the vehicle in front of me, and the vehicle that spun out drove away. I have/had a witness that states there was no way to avoid the vehicle without causing even more damage. I gave a recorded statement to the insurance company, who said they would contact the other party and witness before making a judgement. 10 months later I recieve a call from a collector in attempt to collect money for the accident. At the time of recorded statement the amount was roughly $6,500 the letter I recieved today is over $12,000 while my total repair bill was $500.
Am I at fault here since the driver of the vehicle that I feel caused the accident drove away without incident even if I have a witness that will agree it was not my fault and could not be avoided?
If so what should I do about the figure doubling in price?
Should I get a lawyer or just settle on a price and make payments arrangments?
Should I recontact the witness and see if she has/had been contacted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">