• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Vehicle Question NH-MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haze4u

NH- MA accident

I recently had a fender bender...very minor. Gave the other driver license number and address. Driver contacted her insurance and submitted claim-already received compensation. Her insurance contacted me for all the info, but I didn't want to give to much to them until I know what I needed to explain. I then went to my insurance but found out that only my motorcycle and not truck was covered (my bad with follow up). Now I would like to pay the damages out of pocket but wonder about any ramification there may be driving uninsured. I spoke to her insurance and they request I give them my policy info but I don't have one. Should I tell them everything or force the direction to them sending me a claim, or should I try and get my insurance company to work with them anyways even though they will not cover accident. I'm a NH resident but the accident was in MA. No officer showed up so the only info they have is my number, id, and work address. Again I want to pay for damages, just want to know the correct way to procede without admitting extra guilt. Yes, I'm also going to re-establish my insurance.

Any help much appreciated.

seniorjudge

If you have no insurance, then you must either handle this yourself or hire a lawyer.

It is possible your license will be revoked.

haze4u

Absolutely correct

Yes it is not law to maintain insurance although I like to and believe you should. There is a proof of finance you must show in some cases of an accident, but I'm not familiar with it (you must have certain amount of assets). My main concern was if I go and explain the situation to the MA insurance people, do I have any concerns about them coming at me legally other than simply asking me to pay the damages already accepted by the party involved. I need no repairs to my vehicle, I can pay the damages, but don't need cops showing up at my door saying there's a felon living here LOL. I simply wondered if anyone might know the MA rules to out of State drivers. I neglected to check insurance because they never send notices when you do not have it or lapse during renewal or a change of vehicle-mine being two months ago and thought they were adding when they were just taking off my other vehicle. Thanks for the input, I appreciate the replies.

ecmst12

Because presumably OP's LICENSE is from NH, so if insurance is not mandatory, then it's unlikely his license will be suspended for not having it.

moburkes

While insurance is not required in NH, you *may* be required to post a bond or cash equal to the damage that you caused. You will also be required to carry an SR22.

Once you entered the state of MA, you were required, by law, to carry insurance. You can only drive in your home state without insurance. When you enter another state, you are required to follow their laws.

No, you won't have cops showing up at your door, and since MA doesn't participate in the driver license compact, your license won't be suspended, unless you fail to get an SR22.

Yes, provide them with the information they need. If they have to take you to court, it will cost more money.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">