• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlicensed driver (with driver license from my home country)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slho7

What is the name of your state? LA, California

I had a car accident in May when I was still an international student. I have a driver license from my home country but the cop said it's not legal to drive with that license once I had been in California for ten days.

But according to the california driver handbook, it's said,
(http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs01thru03.htm#visitorstoca)

>Visitors To California
>
>If you are a visitor in California over 18 years old and have a valid driver >license from your home state or country (where you live permanently), you >may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as >your home state license remains valid.

Does anyone know if it's legal to drive with the driver license from my home country alone? and where can I find legal help or attorney in Southern Calfironia? Please share your knowledge and experience with me. Thanks very much.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

slho7 said:
What is the name of your state? LA, California

I had a car accident in May when I was still an international student. I have a driver license from my home country but the cop said it's not legal to drive with that license once I had been in California for ten days.

But according to the california driver handbook, it's said,
(http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs01thru03.htm#visitorstoca)

>Visitors To California
>
>If you are a visitor in California over 18 years old and have a valid driver >license from your home state or country (where you live permanently), you >may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as >your home state license remains valid.

Does anyone know if it's legal to drive with the driver license from my home country alone? and where can I find legal help or attorney in Southern Calfironia? Please share your knowledge and experience with me. Thanks very much.

My response:

You weren't a "visitor" any longer. You were a "student" here in California. As such, you became a resident in the county of California where you live after 3 months of living in that county. Therefore, you needed to obtain a California Driver's License. You violated the law.

Look, you don't need to spend money on an attorney for this. This is an "infraction" - - go to the hearing, plead guilty by reason of insanity, and you'll get a fine, or community service, and that will be the end of it. Just go get a proper license (temporary) to show the judge before your hearing date and time.

That's all.

IAAL

S

slho7

Much thanks for your reply. If I plead guilty, will I have any criminal record or other record that may affect me to apply for a non-immigrant working visa or become an immigrant some time later? What are the "side-effects" of pleading guilty? Thanks.

Calvin

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You weren't a "visitor" any longer. You were a "student" here in California. As such, you became a resident in the county of California where you live after 3 months of living in that county. Therefore, you needed to obtain a California Driver's License. You violated the law.

Look, you don't need to spend money on an attorney for this. This is an "infraction" - - go to the hearing, plead guilty by reason of insanity, and you'll get a fine, or community service, and that will be the end of it. Just go get a proper license (temporary) to show the judge before your hearing date and time.

That's all.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

slho7 said:
Much thanks for your reply. If I plead guilty, will I have any criminal record or other record that may affect me to apply for a non-immigrant working visa or become an immigrant some time later? What are the "side-effects" of pleading guilty? Thanks.

Calvin

My response:

Calvin, nothing is going to happen to you if you get a temporary license issued to you while you're waiting for your permanent license. Your violation of the law is an "infraction", the lowest form of violation there is in this State. You can compare it to a burp. Nothing, other than perhaps having to pay a fine, is going to happen to you. This is not a jailable or a deportable offense. It's nothing. Just go to your hearing, show the judge your new, temporary, license and pay your fine, and then go home.

That's it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">