• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unregistered vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

werner19

I live in NJ and was rearended and not at fault. Only problem is that my registration was expired and I forgot to renew it. I was ticketed for it and it was on the police report. Will it effect my claim against the driver who hit me? I was still fully insured.

ablessin

I am sure the DMV notified your insurance carrier.

Somthing could be crossing in the mail - are you certain you're still covered?

Yes your lack of registration can and probably will affect your car accident.

You might be better off not to report it, and just get your vehicle registered.

It'll need to be done anyway to get your annual inspection done

werner19

I was actually unregistered for 2 months and I received no notice from my insurance company. I guess i'll just wait and see what the other drivers company says. the police report specified I wasn't at fault and that my registration might not affect my claim as long as I go through the other drivers company.

teflon_jones

The lack of registration means you were not insured, regardless of whether you were paying for a policy.

Since the other driver was at fault, this shouldn't be an issue since you'll be dealing with their insurance company. Once they find out you don't have insurance though you can expect them to make the claim difficult for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">