• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPS guy lets himself in.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mt182500

Ok I live in a dorm and my girlfriedn and I were naked and messing around when we here a knock on the door. Because of our current state we were just going to ignore the knock. We didnt say a word and deffinently didnt say come on in. Then about 5 seconds after the knock the guy just opens the door on us. He then closes the door and says "the package is outside the door", and leaves. We called UPS and filed a complaint and they are calling us back in a little while. Do we have any rights in this? Did UPS viloate our rights? Would we have a case against them? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I spy two people.....just kiddin!

Yes, UPS guy has no right to enter your dorm room. If he knocks and you don't answer he can either leave the package there or leave you a note.

I had an experience where the UPS guy left my new computer with my neighbor (whom I didn't know). Guess what, I made UPS take the merchandise back and I asked for $50 good faith for my inconvenience.

Yours is a bit more intrusive!

You should to protect yourself, go to the UPS site and see if they list their policies there or call anonymously and ask for any person and ask them if they are allowed to open your door (i.e. don't give your name, etc. but definitely get the name of the rep you speak with about it).

What he did was called trespass and there are statutory damages involved with that. You need to check your state law (I don't think you listed your state). To do this, go to STATE LAWS and then click on state statutes and then click on your state and look it up under trespass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">