• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USAA consent to disclosure and release form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drinkalot

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

Both of my vehicles were stolen from my driveway recently. To sum it up I will post my letter to USAA here and then will continue with my issue at hand:

Good morning,

My name is ********, and I had both my vehicles stolen out from under me as they were sitting in my driveway overnight.

Given that this happened, when my wife and I discovered that the vehicles were missing (stolen) in the morning we were obviously somewhat distraught.

Our immediate reaction was to call the cops, whom we did, and they immediately responded and were extremely helpful. While the cops were taking statements from my wife I was already on the phone with USAA.

Now, I apologize for being blunt, but your customer service was and is to this day (in regards to this matter) horrendous. I was given the run around, and it is impossible for me to get a hold of my claims representative ****** (total auto theft). Additionally the "special investigator" (******) that was assigned to my case (because I guess you think I am committing fraud) made me very uncomfortable and made me feel as though you are questioning my integrity.

I am offended by this very insinuation, I am a officer in the USAF and hold a position of utmost trust in the US government and to treat me as though I am some sort of hooligan off the street is to me very disrespectful.

Your customer service has added to our heartaches, when instead it should have provided comfort and security. I was always under the impression that your company SUPPORTS the US military but I guess in this case it is all about the bottom line.

Now they sent a special investigator to my house who interviewed us. During the interview the cops called us and to make a long story short one of our vehicles was recovered in the same condition that it was taken in.

USAA has now sent me a letter that they want me and my wife to sign it is entitled "Consent to disclosure of information" and basically the way it reads it lets USAA get access to ANY of my and my wife's financial, medical, and really any personal records that they want to. It is very broad and is pretty much a blanket statement just short of a power of attorney. I am obviously more insulted now, however I am looking for advice on whether or not to sign said statement with my wife, or to flat out refuse which will obviously raise more flags at USAA.

Thanks,

Drinkalot

badapple40

Have you called them and asked to speak to a supervisor yet? I would sign it, so long as it has protections for you in there, e.g. that they will only use any information obtained for the purpose of investigating your claim and that they agree not to distribute any information to any third parties, other than law enforcement, without your prior written consent, etc.

You can probably negotiate these sections with them.

LSCAP

I believe it is a standard disclosure letter. I believe they all use some variation of that format.
In the past five years, I have dealt with three different insurance companies, and each time it was the same type of disclosure form. Though it is very intrusive, it saves time for their investigation.

The form makes you feel like a thief, but our privacy is becoming some sort of a joke anyway.

moburkes

And, you wouldn't think that it was "out of the ordinary" that 2 vehicles were stolen (at the same time, or within a small time frame) out of a person's driveway? That's pretty NOT normal to me. ANY insurance company would have those claims investigated.

drinkalot

Here is a small snipet

"Any and all rights extended here to a USAA representative are hereby also granted and extended to any person designated in writing by them"

..... I mean come on that's like signing my rights away and then they can give those rights to anyone they feel like.

moburkes

Now post the "snippet" of your auto insurance contract in which it references what your responsibilities are in the event of a claim.

drinkalot

Now post the "snippet" of your auto insurance contract in which it references what your responsibilities are in the event of a claim.
I will cooperate in the investigation (I looked it up earlier) is essentially what the line says. Again very broad, what does cooperate mean? If they ask me to jump off a cliff that I should?

There are some other issues involved here dealing with my job, that make signing this consent very difficult to do.

Did I mention that if they do not recover the vehicle I lose money? So, please explain to me why they would even hint at the fact that I am committing some sort of fraud.

moburkes

I don't know you, so I can't tell you WHY YOU would commit fraud. However, I can tell you that they would treat any other person who has 2 vehicles stolen (at the same time?) the same way. It's not personal. They are not targeting YOU.

Why would you lose money? (Besides having to pay your deductibles)

drinkalot

I don't know you, so I can't tell you WHY YOU would commit fraud. However, I can tell you that they would treat any other person who has 2 vehicles stolen (at the same time?) the same way. It's not personal. They are not targeting YOU.

Why would you lose money? (Besides having to pay your deductibles)
B/c I owe as much on the car as it is worth. So I would lose the deductible. My loan is through USAA by the way.

moburkes

Besides the deductible...

Every one who files a claim has to pay the deductible, unless you choose a $0 deductible.

If you have nothing to hide, then sign the form. Its standard. What makes you think that USAA will abuse it? If you don't trust the company, then I suggest that you find another insurance company and finance company.

ecmst12

And just for the record, this is very unusual. I've had USAA for as long as I've been driving (my parents had it) and I've filed many claims with them and I've never experienced anything less then STELLAR customer service from them.

moburkes

And were both of your vehicles stolen out of your driveway at the same time? Come on, that is absolutely UNUSUAL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">