• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Cars Don't Come With Refunds!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

walden

Last Saturday the 23rd, a gentleman and his daughter came to my home to look at an automobile I was selling. I let them test drive the car and ask any questions they had about the vehicle. We agreed on a price and decided to meet the following Tuesday the 26th. On this day we both signed a bill of sale. At this time a certified check and the car were exchanged. Later on that day, I received a phone call from the man that purchased my car. He stated that he noticed the car had been painted and he requested his money back. My question is...if the car was painted before he ever came to look at it, am I in the legal wrong not to return the vehicle, if he failed to ask about if my car had ever been painted until after the fact of the sell and is it justifiable for him to sue me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

walden said:
Last Saturday the 23rd, a gentleman and his daughter came to my home to look at an automobile I was selling. I let them test drive the car and ask any questions they had about the vehicle. We agreed on a price and decided to meet the following Tuesday the 26th. On this day we both signed a bill of sale. At this time a certified check and the car were exchanged. Later on that day, I received a phone call from the man that purchased my car. He stated that he noticed the car had been painted and he requested his money back. My question is...if the car was painted before he ever came to look at it, am I in the legal wrong not to return the vehicle, if he failed to ask about if my car had ever been painted until after the fact of the sell and is it justifiable for him to sue me?
My response:

You tell him, "Pal, you bought a car. You had an opportunity to take the car to your mechanic, and you failed to do so - - BEFORE you handed over the money. This is a private sale, and private sales don't come with a "money back guarantee". Sorry, Bub."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">