• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using car as transport for a business gig

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karate718

What is the name of your state? New York

My band, which is a general partnership with its own tax ID#, is taking a trip to Cleveland to play a few shows. If I borrow someone's car and if something happens, will I be covered under their insurance as an uninsured motorist? My concern is that it is a business trip, not a personal one.

I would also like to ask the question in a different way. If someone uses their own car, which is insured, are they covered when making this road trip to Cleveland?

Thank you.

You Are Guilty

You have to ask your broker/underwriter. Some companies who write personal policies permit a certain amount of travel to be business-related and still be covered, others will not cover any business-related travel. Only way to be 100% sure is to read your policy from end to end and speak to whomever sold it to you. Then, once they answer, ask them to put it in writing.

ecmst12

The more pressing issue is whether OP will be covered as an unlisted driver on the owner's policy. To answer which, the owner needs to call his ins co. The fact that the trip is for "business" shouldn't really matter; I don't see how it would be any different then any other work commute.

HomeGuru

The more pressing issue is whether OP will be covered as an unlisted driver on the owner's policy. To answer which, the owner needs to call his ins co. The fact that the trip is for "business" shouldn't really matter; I don't see how it would be any different then any other work commute.
**A: except the owner's policy may not have a rider for commercial use of the vehicle.

ecmst12

I don't see how this type of trip could be considered commercial use though. Commercial use is normally things like taxi service, or sometimes pizza delivery. I drive my car to work, that doesn't constitute 'business use' of my vehicle.

HomeGuru

I don't see how this type of trip could be considered commercial use though. Commercial use is normally things like taxi service, or sometimes pizza delivery. I drive my car to work, that doesn't constitute 'business use' of my vehicle.
**A: to and from work is normal useage of the vehicle. This post is not about that but about the use of the vehicle for commerical use such as driving to a music gig. The determination factor would be like using the vehicle for side jobs of weekend lawn maintenance, handyman work etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">