• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is VA a No fault State?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gtjimenez

What's the law in Virginia regarding fault in an accident? Who has to pay for the damages?

I had an accident and the other person was at fault. Do I have to report it to my insurance and pay my deductible even though it was not my fault?

Thanks;

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gtjimenez said:
What's the law in Virginia regarding fault in an accident? Who has to pay for the damages?

I had an accident and the other person was at fault. Do I have to report it to my insurance and pay my deductible even though it was not my fault?

Thanks;
My response:

Virginia is a "Fault" tort State. The "at fault" driver's insurance company is ultimately responsible for the costs of damage repair, and medical expenses, and also pain and suffering.

While that insurance company investigates the cause of the accident, it would be a good idea to have your own insurance company repair your car in the meantime, and pay your deductible. Then, when their investigation is completed, they will let you know if their insured is wholly, or partially, at fault and reimburse your insurance company and re-pay you for your deductible, either in whole or a percentage based upon your percentage of fault.

If you haven't seen an attorney to assist you, now would be a good time to at least receive a free consultation. Call a Personal Injury attorney as soon as possible to protect, preserve, and exercise your rights.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">