• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Valet driver liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

molson55

While I am a United States citizen, this incident occured in Calgary - I am just trying to get any sense of whether I would have a case.

My car was damaged when a major hotel chain's valet driver got an accident with it after I handed over the keys. It appears to have been the other driver's fault - he was apparently driving a rental car with an invalid license.

The hotel chain was initally very sympathetic, and setup a rental car, telling me it'd be "taken care" of for 2 weeks, and then more, if I needed it.

Due to various delays, mostly due to confusion at the hotel's insurance company, it took 9 weeks for repairs to be made on my car. I called the hotel for permission to extend the rental for 2 consecutive weeks after the first two, and this was granted. After the 3rd week, I was told "you should definitly keep it longer", but to check with the hotel's insurance company to make sure. I left many messages with the insurance agent assigned to me, and they were very rarely returned. They never told me to bring back the car.

The rental car agency then charged my credit card for the ENTIRE amount of the car (about $4,000), and the Hotel's insurance company is being very vauge as to whether I'll be reinbursed at all. The ENTIRE amount of loss from this incident, including transporation, phone calls, towing and storage fees (my insurance company paid for the car damage) - is $6,000 - It is unbelievable to me that this MAJOR hotel chain would not give me a cent.

Any advice on how to puruse? I'd be happy with t he majority of the rental car paid for, but if it was refused, I'd be inclined to go after other expenses as well. Do I have a case against the hotel, the insurance company, the valet driver, the other driver, the other driver's rental company?

Thanks.

stephenk

Sorry, but I dont think you will get a response since the accident happened in Calgary and Canadian law regarding an insurance carrier's duty to a claimant may be different from U.S. law.

You mentioned your own carrier paid for the property damage. How long did it take to actually fix your car? At what point did you make your claim with your own carrier?

lwpat

File a claim with your carrier for the rental fees and let them decide who to go after. Also notify your credit card company that you are disputing the charges. Send the letter CRRR.

If you don't get any satisfaction there then you will need to contact someone who is versed in Canadian law. This board is for US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">