• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Value on Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lskusf

What is the name of your state? Florida

On 11/2/05, my car was sitting parked legally in my apartment complex's parking lot when an Allstate insured driver lost control (while doing at least 60 in a 30) and slammed into my car and my neighbors. I sustained damages to the entire right side of my vehicle including both doors, the quarter panel, back bumper and tail light. Allstate finally accepted liability nearly 2 weeks later so happily I go to their adjuster and several body shops on my own for estimates. Needless to say their adjuster was the lowest but I figure I'll leave the disagreements to the body shop. I select a body shop that is an Allstate Pro Shop and also the one the dealer I bought my car from uses. Then it gets sticky. I have a custom competion stereo system in my trunk. Their body shop says it needs to come out for them to be able to access the quarter panel properly, so I go to the stereo shop where it was installed and they tell me that they cannot remove the box without breaking it since it was built into the car not built and then installed. So I call the adjuster and tell her. No problem she says just fax me the estimate from the stereo shop. So I do and they have a heart attack even after I warned them it would not be cheap. So they send out another adjuster who says I don't care what the body shop says, it can be repaired without removing anything and even if they do need it removed then we'll just total out the car because the repairs and the stereo exceed the value of the car. The damage to my car is $3000-$4000 and the stereo to be removed and replaced is $7000. My question is if they total out the car, do they have to pay for any custom equipment that cannot be removed, i.e. Dynamat, wiring, the box, paneling and tinting? Now the box and paneling can be removed but then is not reusable. Also they are saying the value of my car is less than $9000. It is an 04 Nissan Sentra with just over 16K miles. My own insurance company says the value is 11200. Any ideas?

lskusf said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

On 11/2/05, my car was sitting parked legally in my apartment complex's parking lot when an Allstate insured driver lost control (while doing at least 60 in a 30) and slammed into my car and my neighbors. I sustained damages to the entire right side of my vehicle including both doors, the quarter panel, back bumper and tail light. Allstate finally accepted liability nearly 2 weeks later so happily I go to their adjuster and several body shops on my own for estimates. Needless to say their adjuster was the lowest but I figure I'll leave the disagreements to the body shop. I select a body shop that is an Allstate Pro Shop and also the one the dealer I bought my car from uses. Then it gets sticky. I have a custom competion stereo system in my trunk. Their body shop says it needs to come out for them to be able to access the quarter panel properly, so I go to the stereo shop where it was installed and they tell me that they cannot remove the box without breaking it since it was built into the car not built and then installed. So I call the adjuster and tell her. No problem she says just fax me the estimate from the stereo shop. So I do and they have a heart attack even after I warned them it would not be cheap. So they send out another adjuster who says I don't care what the body shop says, it can be repaired without removing anything and even if they do need it removed then we'll just total out the car because the repairs and the stereo exceed the value of the car. The damage to my car is $3000-$4000 and the stereo to be removed and replaced is $7000. My question is if they total out the car, do they have to pay for any custom equipment that cannot be removed, i.e. Dynamat, wiring, the box, paneling and tinting? Now the box and paneling can be removed but then is not reusable. Also they are saying the value of my car is less than $9000. It is an 04 Nissan Sentra with just over 16K miles. My own insurance company says the value is 11200. Any ideas?
Why on Earth would you put a $7,000 stereo in a piece of crap Nissan Sentra? Oh, let me guess, you're one of those obnoxious people who thinks everyone wants to hear your crappy music. I hope they do destroy the stereo and you don't get compensated for it. Does your car bounce, too? :rolleyes:

racer72

What you are going to find out the hard way is that most if not all insurance companies do not cover many optional items installed on vehicles such as custom wheels, stereos, and body modifications. Generally it is up to you to obtain that additional coverage necessary on your policy to cover such equipment. You might be able to go after the at fault party for your loss but don't be surprised if the waiver you sign to be compensated for the damage to the vehicle itself prevents you from taking any legal action.

lskusf

InsuranceLadyAZ said:
Why on Earth would you put a $7,000 stereo in a piece of crap Nissan Sentra? Oh, let me guess, you're one of those obnoxious people who thinks everyone wants to hear your crappy music. I hope they do destroy the stereo and you don't get compensated for it. Does your car bounce, too? :rolleyes:
Actually no I don't think everyone else wants to hear my music, that is why the car has Dynamat throughout. Why do you call my car a piece of crap? Oh by the way the stereo is worth 13K, and it is a demo vehicle for a particular stereo company and the car looks stock from the outside. There is a huge difference between custom car stereo and hydraulics. I came to this forum looking for advice not insults. So thanks for the help. :(

S

shell007

Oh by the way the stereo is worth 13K,

ooooooh.....aaaaaaah!

Sorry...I couldn't help it. To think.....there are people in this world with real problems like children going to bed hungry and cold! Just think of the kids we could feed with $13,000.000 for Thanksgiving.

Stay tuned! Maybe someone else here will help your "desperate" problem.

divgradcurl

shellandty said:
ooooooh.....aaaaaaah!

Sorry...I couldn't help it. To think.....there are people in this world with real problems like children going to bed hungry and cold! Just think of the kids we could feed with $13,000.000 for Thanksgiving.

Stay tuned! Maybe someone else here will help your "desperate" problem.
Unless you drive the cheapest car you possibly can and live in the smallest and cheapest house that you can squeeze into and then send every penny you make above what is necessary for you to survive to help others less fortunate, you are not in any position to judge what he -- or any other person -- does with the money that they earn. If he had owned a $23,000 car instead of a $10,000 car with a $13,000 stereo, would you have made the same comment? If not, why not? -- the dollar figures are the same.

I certainly wouldn't dream of putting a $13,000 stereo in any car -- but if he wants to, who cares? He's probably going to find, as racer72 noted, that he probably won't get much reimbursement for the stereo unless he had extra insurance -- but why belittle his question? It's as pertitinent as any of the other questions in this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">