• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vandalism in secured lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vernicular

My brother had left his car at an auto shop, which was then broken into and vandalized. The shop claims no responsibility, since they made good efforts to secure it (by having the facility locked and the car in a well-lit gated lot), or whatever the official phrase was.

Does anyone know if there is a statute/law that would help us in this situation? I would be very surprised to hear that they have no liability in this situation, but I'd like to hear what others have learned.
Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My brother had left his car at an auto shop, which was then broken into and vandalized. The shop claims no responsibility, since they made good efforts to secure it (by having the facility locked and the car in a well-lit gated lot), or whatever the official phrase was.

Does anyone know if there is a statute/law that would help us in this situation? I would be very surprised to hear that they have no liability in this situation, but I'd like to hear what others have learned.
Thanks.
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

However, no - you have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">