• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thenatureboy420

What is the name of your state? MI

I apologize if this isnt in the right forum, but this is closest to what i am asking.

Recently i was following a man on a bike in a suburb. He was going around 1 mile an hour, so i was getting annoyed. After waiting for oncoming traffic to stop coming, opened my window and said "Use the sidewalk!". I said it pretty politely. The guy is in his 40's or 50's and responded with "fu** you A**hole!!!". I was stopped at a light, and he caught up again. I just said "Why dont you use the sidewalk??" and he responded with more curse words. He copied my license plate number, called the police, and said I hit him in my car, pulled around, and threw garbage at him. I am going to be interviewed by police soon.

I have a few questions about this situation.

1. Being a teenager, and when it comes down to his word against mine, am I pretty much screwed? My friend was also in the car, and witnessed it all.

2. What can i be charged with?

3. When i get interviewed, would there be any reason to have a lawyer with me?

4. Under what conditions could a lie detector test be administered? And how much would it cost?

Thanks!

seniorjudge

thenatureboy420 said:
What is the name of your state? MI

I apologize if this isnt in the right forum, but this is closest to what i am asking.

Recently i was following a man on a bike in a suburb. He was going around 1 mile an hour, so i was getting annoyed. After waiting for oncoming traffic to stop coming, opened my window and said "Use the sidewalk!". I said it pretty politely. The guy is in his 40's or 50's and responded with "fu** you A**hole!!!". I was stopped at a light, and he caught up again. I just said "Why dont you use the sidewalk??" and he responded with more curse words. He copied my license plate number, called the police, and said I hit him in my car, pulled around, and threw garbage at him. I am going to be interviewed by police soon.

I have a few questions about this situation.

1. Being a teenager, and when it comes down to his word against mine, am I pretty much screwed? My friend was also in the car, and witnessed it all.

2. What can i be charged with?

3. When i get interviewed, would there be any reason to have a lawyer with me?

4. Under what conditions could a lie detector test be administered? And how much would it cost?

Thanks!

How do you know you will be interviewed by the police?

In any event, admit what an idiot you were but (if you are telling the truth) point out that you did nothing criminal. Have the cops talk to your friend too.

efflandt

In many communities there is an age limit for children allowed to ride bikes on the sidewalk (unless it is some sort of bike trail). Where I grew up in Milwaukee, I think the age limit was 11 years old. It sounds like he was not the child in this case.

justalayman

efflandt said:
In many communities there is an age limit for children allowed to ride bikes on the sidewalk (unless it is some sort of bike trail). Where I grew up in Milwaukee, I think the age limit was 11 years old. It sounds like he was not the child in this case.
In my home town it is just plain illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk.
There are many cities in which it is the same.

I guess if he was going only 1 mph and subsequently caught up with you, he wasn't really going too slowly after all.

If he said you hit him with your car and the police believe it in the least, I would suggest you at least speak with an attorney before your police interview. What happened could be charged as an assault with a motor vehicle or deadly weapon (depends on local/state laws). Could be serious if he is believable. If he has any injuries I definately would see an attorney.

thenatureboy420

The police looked up the license plate number, which led them to my dad. He told me that they are going to call and request that i come speak with them. Im betting after that, they will call my friend in.

I guess if he was going only 1 mph and subsequently caught up with you, he wasn't really going too slowly after all.
He was going very slowly, we passed him, then immediately stopped at a red light, where he was able to catch up to the car.

If he said you hit him with your car and the police believe it in the least, I would suggest you at least speak with an attorney before your police interview. What happened could be charged as an assault with a motor vehicle or deadly weapon (depends on local/state laws). Could be serious if he is believable. If he has any injuries I definately would see an attorney.
I feel pretty confident, the mirror of the car is flawless, and it would have been at such a height that it would have had to hit him in the head, and im betting if he got clocked in the head with the huge mirror (ford expedition) he wouldnt be up on his bike for a long time.

In any event, admit what an idiot you were but (if you are telling the truth) point out that you did nothing criminal. Have the cops talk to your friend too.
My dad (no professional in law by any means) says that just merely yelling out the window can be considered road rage or reckless driving or something. Im not sure how true this is, any idea?

TJoeC

I'd call a criminal attorney right away if you don't contact one here. A conversation with the plice without legal representation could be a big problem.

Joe

thenatureboy420

I'd call a criminal attorney right away if you don't contact one here. A conversation with the plice without legal representation could be a big problem.
The problem is that i dont have that much money, and my parents dont believe it will be necessary. What are my options? Is there some way i can vaguely learn my rights without reading hundreds of legal books or something?

justalayman

thenatureboy420 said:
The problem is that i dont have that much money, and my parents dont believe it will be necessary. What are my options? Is there some way i can vaguely learn my rights without reading hundreds of legal books or something?
You have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right to remain silent anything you say may be used against you in a court of law. etc.

If you answer questions before you are arrested (if you are) and not advised of your rights, what you say may be used against you.

That is one of the most important rights you have. Use it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">