• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle titled in my name sold!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dalzellt

What is the name of your state? Michigan. My daughter was 16 1/2 yrs when I purchased a car for her use. Titled in my name, she cashed in some savings bonds bought by her gramps 10 years ago to help pay for insurance, gas etc. She moved out 6 weeks ago, a day before she turned 18..a senior in highschool. An attorney contacted me about reimbursing all monies from bonds that she put into this car for gas and insurance..because I recently sold car(for far less than I paid) She was emancipated 2 weeks after she moved and I haven't spoke with her. Can she do this?

stephenk

did she make any payments toward the financing of the car, if it was financed? If no, then I dont see her grounds for reimbursement. She had no financial interest in the vehicle.

She essentially had a free car and all she had to do was put gas in it and keep it insured.

stephenk

ask the attorney to provide you a reason why your daughter believes she should be reimbursed for gas and insurance.

did you ever tell your daughter that the car was a gift to her?

D

dalzellt

I never said it was a gift for her yet her grandmother gifted her 1000 towards the purchase of this car as a birthday gift ...she didn't buy the car for her just helped. Daughter was becoming a bit uncontrollable and I kept the car under tight scrutiny for driving to school only. She didn't even want to work. Being pretty rebellious, she moved out. I did sell the car and returned monies because grandma wanted her gift back (probably to help her get another car) Grandma hasn't spoke to me in months because she thought I should have sold the car 10 months ago and give her the money back since daughter was being rebellious. I gave her a chance to straighten up to no avail. No gift from me..Insurance is high and so is gas.. the car was purchased for about 3500... sold for 2500 last month...paid her grandmother back (certified mail.. 1000.00) I feel daughter thinks I owe her .....and I think she is being prompted to get what she can cause any one can sue anyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">