• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle towed out by a private mechanic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sitopons

What is the name of your state? NJ

I had my car towed out of a McDonalds. I do not have a receipt to proof that I conducted business. To reclaim the car from a private towing company (not the city), I had to pay $225.00 . The prices for taking out the car from the city impound are near 100.00 or less . I feel that I was taking advantage by the towing company. Can I claim overcharging, do I have a case?, what things I can do to win it. Thank you

ecmst12

You're going to have to look up your state laws to see if there are caps on charges by towing companies. I'm not doing it for you. The amount doesn't sound too high though. You shouldn't have parked in a customers-only parking lot if you were not a customer.

efflandt

If you "had your car towed" you should have known who you were dealing with and what they charge. I have a feeling your car was towed for you, because you were not there. In that case there is usually a sign who says who tows illegally parked vehicles, and you have to pay whatever they normally charge for towing and storage.

City impound would be different because that would be towing from public property, and would usually also involve fines (illegal parking, improper registration, suspended license, etc.).

sitopons

about state laws

where can I look those up is there any website that will list them for nj....I am 100% sure he is overcharging the bill given to me had all types of charges that only made sense to the mechanic ...when the judge sees the list of those charges he is going to laugh it up....thanx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">