• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Frustrated!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jimmyjames0423

I was in an accident about a year and a half ago in Colorado.I immediately seeked out the help of an attorney.
Since then my attorney has hardly done anything for me even though the doctor said that I have permanent disability because of it. The insurance company finally decided to settle my case for 12,000. This was 2 months ago and I have'nt seen a dime! My lawyer keeps telling me that they will call and find out what is going on but they never call me back. Is there anything that I can do about this? Is there any kind of time limit on them paying out? Please help me if you can I'm very desperate and frustrated!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jimmyjames0423 said:
I was in an accident about a year and a half ago in Colorado.I immediately seeked out the help of an attorney.
Since then my attorney has hardly done anything for me even though the doctor said that I have permanent disability because of it. The insurance company finally decided to settle my case for 12,000. This was 2 months ago and I have'nt seen a dime! My lawyer keeps telling me that they will call and find out what is going on but they never call me back. Is there anything that I can do about this? Is there any kind of time limit on them paying out? Please help me if you can I'm very desperate and frustrated!!!
My response:

I'm going to assist you.

But first, I would like you to sit back, and take a deep breath . . . that's it, breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out.

Okay. Now that you're somewhat relaxed, I first want to tell you that you have a good point. It certainly shouldn't take 60 days to complete a settlement.

So, I would like you to write a "Certified Return Receipt" letter to your attorney, asking for your "Net" settlement proceeds, along with a full, written, accounting of where every penny has gone, and specific reasons for this extended delay. Be nice, but firm, in your resolve, informing him that he has 10 calendar days from the date of your letter to send you a written response to your questions, and or your Net Settlement check.

Further, tell him that you really don't want to do this, but if his response has not been received by the 10th day, you'll have no choice but to report him and this situation to your State Bar Association.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">