• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very minor accident - report to insurance or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AZFTMom

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I was in a very minor accident yesterday, where the car in front of me stopped very suddenly just inside the intersection. (She stated she did not want to risk getting a red light photo violation - so she stopped on an early yellow light). Anyway, I bumped into her back bumper. As I was stopping for the light anyway and slowing down, there were no injuries and virtually no damage to either vehicle. There were scuff marks on my plastic bumper and some scratch marks on her bumper. The police came, but did not file a report as there were no injuries and not enough damage to the vehicles to warrant a report. Also, I was NOT cited for any wrongdoing. Should I report this accident to my insurance in case the occupants of the other vehicle try to make a claim, or would reporting just raise my chances of getting a raise in my insurance premium and/or cancelled. Because of ongoing financial problems, I am insured - but not with a high-end insurance company. Thanks for any advice.

K

knotcops

Inform your agent that you had this incident, but don't want to file a claim. Since you hit the other person, they will be the party deciding whether a claim is filed or not. You may want to pay for the damage yourself, they may go for your jugular and thats when the claim will be filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">