• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of Hit and Run, but police won't press charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgreer

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Last saturday, my fiance and I were sideswiped in the evening on a busy freeway. My drivers-side mirror was crushed and my car had minor dents about 4 feet long on the driver''s side of our car. :mad: The driver who hit us attempted to flee zig-zagging through traffic moving all the way to the fast lane. I followed him honking my horn. After a few hundred yards, he cut back across the freeway attempting to hastily escape at the next exit. I was still able to stay on him never allowing his car to leave our sight.

After exiting, the driver stopped at the next intersection resting in the turn lane due to a red light. We pulled behind him and my girl captured his license plate number. Seeing us in the rear-view mirror, he ran a red light to get away. We had the license plate, so we let him go not wanting to press our luck with someone obviously comfortable with breaking the law. We also didn't feel like running a red light. Immediately we pulled over and dialed 911 giving all the details but were told we'd have to file a report in person.

After filing the report today (two days later) I got a call from a state trooper reportedly at the home of the offending car's owner. Every detail I gave of the vehicle turned out to be accurate. According to the trooper there was no damage whatsoever to this person's car (Jeep Cherokee). The trooper told me that since there was no sign of damage to the other car, it was impossible that it hit my car and he refused to file any complaint.:eek: I was stunned!!!

My car is black and his car has large black bumpers which hit my car leaving black on black marks on the car, though hard to see since they are both black. The officer confirmed the car had black rubber bumpers, but refused to file a case.

So, this guy can hit my car and flee the scene and if he doesn't have readily visible damage to his car, it's just my word against his???

What are my options? This is unbelievable and I'm fuming!!!

Last edited:

ecmst12

If you have the other car's identity, you can file against his insurance. A police report is not required. It's not a guaranty that they'll pay the claim, but all you can do is try. If you don't have the identity, you can file with your own insurance, they may be able to get the identity for you. You can still file with your insurance and let THEM go after the other guy.

ecmst12

That's true, it's possible that when faced with the prospect of lying to a judge under oath, he will come clean.

post ad

Would it be of any value to post an ad asking for witnesses. If op's car has no damage, how can you prove they hit you? Doesnt sound like this person is ready to come clean!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">