• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of Hit-and-run...what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janelliebean

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Yesterday, I was driving North on a main street in Columbus, Ohio. I am stopped at a light, in the right lane, getting ready to go forward at the green light, when suddenly, I hear a loud CRACK. I look in my mirrors, and see a HUGE truck right beside/behind me in the left lane. I couldn't see if he had hit me, so I honked, and started to pull over into a parking lot. BUT the truck kept going! I pulled behind him and started honking, he didn't pull over. Drove beside him honking, he didn't pull over. I drive a tiny Honda civic, and this was a huge delivery truck, so I couldn't get a look at the driver. I followed him about a 1/2 mile (in the city, through several lights, and intersections) but he still didn't stop. Finally, I pulled over and called the police right away. I got the license plate numbers and the name of the company of the truck--Sysco, they are a large food distributor. There are nasty, nasty scratches on the back of my car, behind the left rear wheel. Probably the bumper and part of the body will need to be replaced, the scratches are that deep. I still can't figure out what part of his truck hit me!!!

I have never been in an accident before, and I REALLY don't want to pay the $500 deductible to get this fixed. The police thought they'd be able to find the vehicle based on the description and the plate number. But this is just little me who will be dealing with the insurance company, the police, and a VERY large food company. I'm still waiting on the police to send me a copy of the accident report and more info, and for the adjustor to call. Any advice on how to proceed??

stephenk

notify your carrier to get your car fixed. your carrier may waive the deductible if they will be able to get reimbursed by the other vehicle's insurance carrier.

If they won't waive the deductible then you can either decide to pay the deductible and get your car fixed and then sue the other driver/owner in small claims court OR make the property damage claim against the other driver's insurance carrier and not have to worry about a deductible.

stevek3

janelliebean said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Yesterday, I was driving North on a main street in Columbus, Ohio. I am stopped at a light, in the right lane, getting ready to go forward at the green light, when suddenly, I hear a loud CRACK. I look in my mirrors, and see a HUGE truck right beside/behind me in the left lane. I couldn't see if he had hit me, so I honked, and started to pull over into a parking lot. BUT the truck kept going! I pulled behind him and started honking, he didn't pull over. Drove beside him honking, he didn't pull over. I drive a tiny Honda civic, and this was a huge delivery truck, so I couldn't get a look at the driver. I followed him about a 1/2 mile (in the city, through several lights, and intersections) but he still didn't stop. Finally, I pulled over and called the police right away. I got the license plate numbers and the name of the company of the truck--Sysco, they are a large food distributor. There are nasty, nasty scratches on the back of my car, behind the left rear wheel. Probably the bumper and part of the body will need to be replaced, the scratches are that deep. I still can't figure out what part of his truck hit me!!!

I have never been in an accident before, and I REALLY don't want to pay the $500 deductible to get this fixed. The police thought they'd be able to find the vehicle based on the description and the plate number. But this is just little me who will be dealing with the insurance company, the police, and a VERY large food company. I'm still waiting on the police to send me a copy of the accident report and more info, and for the adjustor to call. Any advice on how to proceed??
Take the direct approach. They're just over on Harrison Rd. on the west side. Go over there and tell them you want to talk to the supervisor. I can assure you they don't want to have lunatic drivers on the road. They'll take care of your deductible.

janelliebean

Thanks...but now it looks like the police AREN'T going to do an investigation based on "insufficient information to proceed." Is this going to be a big setback? I have contacted Sysco, and so has my insurance agent, although the insurance agent seems to be moving pretty slowly. I also have some friends in the detective dept...have also contacted them for advice.
Any other suggestions?

stevek3

janelliebean said:
Thanks...but now it looks like the police AREN'T going to do an investigation based on "insufficient information to proceed." Is this going to be a big setback? I have contacted Sysco, and so has my insurance agent, although the insurance agent seems to be moving pretty slowly. I also have some friends in the detective dept...have also contacted them for advice.
Any other suggestions?
What insufficient information?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">