• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A waiter waiting for settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mid20s

Mississippi.

My car was totaled in an accident in which the other party claims full liability. We both have full coverage and I have sent his insurance company documentation of loss of work, medical bills, etc. The only injury in the accident was my right foot. My toe is broken and my foot is bruised and swollen. I make a living as a server in a restaurant, so I have been out of work for twelve days so far. I may be forced to learn another trade as a result of this accident. My insurance company has paid off the remainder of my car loan: $7000. The other insurance rep has mailed me $500 to cover the deductible. He promises a lump sum settlement on top of reimbursement for bills, for my inconvenience. How much of a lump sum is a fair amount or should I expect? He plans to reimburse $600 for medical and $600 for loss of wages. My foot could flare up again in the future...For what amount should I demand or negotiate?? Thank you for any help.

ecmst12

SJ that's not really helpful.

You can't try to settle for your injuries until your treatment is complete and you are feeling back to normal (or as close as you can get). You can settle once ALL your bills are in and you know what (if any) permanent limitations you are going to have. A broken toe is not a super serious injury, but it's still a broken bone, and will obviously take time to heal. No one here can give you a number; when you are ready to settle, ask for what you think is fair. If you want more specific info on what your case might be worth, consult a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">