• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to do it on my own(car acident)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmchaff

I was in a car reck and would like to handle this on my own No attorny. the other driver was at fault,he was given a ticket for failure to yield the right of way. I am almost sure they are going to total my car out."I am a ASE certified machanic" and have general knoledge. Can some one give me some information on some thing that might help me with this. I have been told that a rule of thunb is 3 time's the total hospital bills is close to what the settlement will be . Is this correct? and how should I handle the adjuster,and is there going to be only the one adjuster or does this person just do the car or what.
All help is greatly app. thank you in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jmchaff said:
I was in a car reck and would like to handle this on my own No attorny. the other driver was at fault,he was given a ticket for failure to yield the right of way. I am almost sure they are going to total my car out."I am a ASE certified machanic" and have general knoledge. Can some one give me some information on some thing that might help me with this. I have been told that a rule of thunb is 3 time's the total hospital bills is close to what the settlement will be . Is this correct? and how should I handle the adjuster,and is there going to be only the one adjuster or does this person just do the car or what.
All help is greatly app. thank you in advance.

My response:

You come here saying you don't want an attorney to assist you. Then you ask questions. What do you think we are, anyway? Potted plants?

Seriously, there's an art to claims handling and negotiations. The adjuster knows the laws, and does this everyday. The fact is, you don't. You wouldn't know if you're being screwed or not - - unless is smacked you right in the head. That's why adjusters don't make screwing you obvious.

Here's a clue: I'll bet you already gave a recorded statement to the adjuster, and you already gave them your Social Security Number, didn't you?

Get an attorney.

IAAL

J

jmchaff

I found out this morning that the cars nada value is only 10,500 and we owe 11,640. What do you think "only opinion" they will do with this? If they won't do the 11,640 what can I use in my defense to get them to do pay off?

J

jmchaff

you would have lost that bet!!! I have not givin a statment nor have I give them my social.they asked my wife how I was doing and she said at this piont we dont know and left it at that.I have not even spokin with them. and to clear any confusion,I dont want to hire an attorny,just ask ?????.what is the next step?aslo is there any books I can read on this subject?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jmchaff said:
you would have lost that bet!!! I have not givin a statment nor have I give them my social.they asked my wife how I was doing and she said at this piont we dont know and left it at that.I have not even spokin with them. and to clear any confusion,I dont want to hire an attorny,just ask ?????.what is the next step?aslo is there any books I can read on this subject?
My response:

Excellent!!

Okay, if you really want to give this a whirl on your own, and use yourself as the "great experiment", there are many books on the subject. Go to your nearest bookstore and go into their "legal" section, and buy a "How To" book on the subject.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

iggy367

On your own

First, did you get Gap Insurance from the dealer or car loan Company? Gap covers your down money and might make up the insurance sttlement difference without any major legwork. Second the insurance company may use a "network" like CCC to arrive at an offer, which may be substantially less than the nada, kelley or any other book. In this case you may need to get a dealer of your car to sign a letter to their expert opinion of "your" car's value which should match or exceed the nada value, this letter will usually carry some pretty good weight. If all else fails and you get ignored by the other guys insurance company. Then turn the claim in to your company and let them fight it out themselves. If you have a good policy and company you should only be out your deductible initially. Definitely hop on his company's back right away they should react with an offer or check for your car within a week. Any injuries may take longer and may for your own health require an attorney.

J

jmchaff

thank you guys/or gals for all the info so far so good.finaly got car apraised, we called are ins. campony!!!! and they helped with it.I am now finishing off with the chiropractor , my back is not as tight as it was and doing much better. if I have any more ? I will post .thanks again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jmchaff said:
thank you guys/or gals for all the info so far so good.finaly got car apraised, we called are ins. campony!!!! and they helped with it.I am now finishing off with the chiropractor , my back is not as tight as it was and doing much better. if I have any more ? I will post .thanks again.
My response:

This was the fairly easy part. The difficult part is coming - - the final settlement negotiations. This is the part where you can really hurt yourself. So, please, get yourself that "How To" book to at least give yourself some idea of how to handle this next part, and the pitfalls to look for. Adjusters are very savvy. They aren't hired to give out money to claimants, like yourself. The book will also tell you about other things you can claim, and get paid for, that you haven't even thought about.

Finally, you'll be offered an amount, and you may think it's good. But, the reality is that it's not. It's an amount that the adjuster will tell you "that's all I have authority to offer" and you might just buy that reason. But, if you don't like the offer, and to get more, you'll have to substantiate your reasons for wanting more. Believe me when I tell you, with the proper book reading, you'll be able to get past that response, making the purchase of the book very worthwhile and profitable.

IAAL

J

jmchaff

ok went to every book store around me and can not find a how to book went to amozon.com and could not find anything either. Is there a few title you know of that I can see if I can order them.thank you very much for the help and support!

W

wilbergris

I found that my local library was an invaluable source when it came to legal self-help.

J

jmchaff

tried the libraries and found one book . It left out a hole lot as far as nog. I heard there is a large book store about an hour from here called barnes @noble . going to try it tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">