• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want a new car not a repaired one.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Duedja

Kentucky. My 2005 Pontiac G6 with 15,000 miles on it was recently hit in the front end by another car and has heavy damage estimated at $11,500.The Insurance Co (Federated Mutual) says the car is valued at $19,500 and damage has to exceed 75% of that.The car stickers for $21,000 and I bought it for $16,500, you can buy this car anywhere for that price.I know my car wont be worth as much if I get it fixed.Why did they value my car so high?Why wont they total it and give me what I had before the accident a new car not a wrecked and repaired one?

Last edited:

Happy Trails

Duedja said:
Kentucky. My 2005 Pontiac G6 with 15,000 miles on it was recently hit in the front end by another car and has heavy damage estimated at $11,500.The Insurance Co (Federated Mutual) says the car is valued at $19,500 and damage has to exceed 75% of that.The car stickers for $21,000 and I bought it for $16,500, you can buy this car anywhere for that price.I know my car wont be worth as much if I get it fixed.Why did they value my car so high?Why wont they total it and give me what I had before the accident a new car not a wrecked and repaired one?
Even if you were able to provide evidence and manage to convince the insurance company your car's value is as you say; the damage still wouldn't exceed 75% of THAT value.

Duedja said:
Go to www.nadaguides.com and see what your vehicle is valued at. Most carriers use NADA to value the vehicle. If you are still collect, your agent should be able to tell you how to dispute how the claim is being handled.

S

shell007

I'm not sure if this will make sense to you, but you may be better off in the end by not having your car "totaled".

We all know how vehicles depreciate in value (especially the minute you drive them off of the lot). If the insurance co. did "total" your vehicle...They would only give you "fair market value", which may not be equal to what you owe on the vehicle unless you purchased "GAP" insurance. You would be in the "red".

Although I understand completely where you are comming from on the moral side of the issue. Legally, they are not going to replace your vehicle with a new one. If they total it...you could very well end up in a much worse financial situation due to the depreciation $$$ of cars. Worth vs. Owe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">