• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We were uninsured and they are harassing us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GreenAngel

my husband backed out of our driveway and hit a vehicle parked in the road, it was in his blind spot. at that time our insurance had lapsed due to financial difficulties. we want to pay for damages, but they are harassing us. they have gotten only one estimate. can we ask for other estimates where we were uninsured? do we have any rights? he came to our home and wanted us to give him the money then. living on a tight budget in Maine.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

GreenAngel said:
my husband backed out of our driveway and hit a vehicle parked in the road, it was in his blind spot. at that time our insurance had lapsed due to financial difficulties. we want to pay for damages, but they are harassing us. they have gotten only one estimate. can we ask for other estimates where we were uninsured? do we have any rights? he came to our home and wanted us to give him the money then. living on a tight budget in Maine.
My response:

First of all, it's not harassment when someone asks or demands money for repairs to their property that YOU damaged, due to your own negligence. A "Blind Spot" is not a defense or an excuse for negligence.

Insurance is a social necessity because accidents happen. Driving is not a right, it's a privilege. So, being on a "tight budget" is not an excuse or a defense.

If I were you, and before a lawsuit is commenced, I would try to find funds for the repairs to the man's automobile. You can ask, just like a judge would ask for, and receive more than one estimate for comparison purposes. You would be obligated to pay for the smaller amount.

However, because you have no money, I suspect that your demand for a second estimate is a bit of a stalling tactic. Use your time wisely to make arrangements to find and obtain funds for your eventual payout. But, once matters go to court, you may be obligated to pay statutory interest, plus court costs. Then, when a judgment is rendered against you, then wages will be attached, and bank accounts (if any) will be emptied.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">