• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flip13204

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Illinois
2 weeks ago I was leaving a bar on private property. The parking lot is set up where a car parks right behind you. Well I was in front and at closing time I backed into a car as I was leaving. The driver of the other vehicle was in her car. When I got out to check her front end, it was all smashed up. It wasn't from me though, the night before someone had really backed into her car and demolished the hood grill and knocked out a head light. She had called the police on that one and had a police report and the cops were investigating it as a hit and run. Back to my incident, it looked as if I had done no damage to her car. She insisted I give her my information, well I gave her the card of my insurance agent with my phone number on it. I insisted I had done no damage to her car and didn't want to get the cops involved. She said okay, but she didn't even look at her car to see if there was new damage. So we never called the police. Well 2 days ago she calls me and says I put a bunch of scratches and a big dent in her fender. I said it was probably from the other guy, but she said it wasn't. She told me she had an estimate done on just the "so-called" damage from me and wanted me to send her a check for $500. Well my insurance agent called me later that day and said she had called him and told him she hadn't had an estimate done. I was wondering what I am liable for, if anything. I think she just wants me to pay her deductible on her claim for the hit and run which she told me was $500. She says I owe her because she saved me from a DUI, but she was at the same bar I was. Someone give a lost college kid some guidance here please.

Did you tell your agent that the car had existing damage and a police report had been filed for the previous accident?

I'm unclear as to how she intends to prove that you did any additional damage if you hit her in the same place as the other driver had. It sounds to me like she's trying to run a game on you, which is what you suspect. Make sure your agent is clear on the circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">