• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

holysm0ke78

I live in NJ. The other day I was driving on a four lane street. I was in the farthest left lane by the yellow double line when a truck moved into my lane and sideswipped me. The guy got out of his car and asked if I was okay and I said yes as I was looking at the damage to my car. He got back in his car and drove away.

I got back in my car and followed him as I called 911. I told them I was following a truck that just hit me and said part of the license plate number. The guy on the other end connected me to the local police department but we got disconnected.

I followed the guy through two traffic lights and finally got him to pull over in a shopping mall. An emergency vehicle followed me in because he must have seen me following him. He called the cops and had us wait in the parking lot.

Anyway, the cop comes and asks for my statement. He then refused to write on the report that the guy left the scene. I told him the accident did noyt happen on that road but up the street and I followed him. I chased him for a couple of blocks. I said he hit my car.. and the cop said he asked if you were okay. And I said yeah but you are supposed to get a police report. The cop said not always.. just for major accidents. I don't know how true that is but that's what he said.

He told me he was not going to write that I chased the guy and had me go to the accident scene tp show him where it happened. He yelled at me and was nasty about it too.

I haven't gotten the police report but i am very upset that he did not write down what actually happened. I have to get the report on Monday so my question is what can I do about this? I want to talk to his superviser or something and demand that the guy left he scene on the report. Is there anything I can do at the police station on Monday?

holysm0ke78

I forgot to mention that the truck that hit me was a company truck and the guys got out of the car after I chased them and wanted me to fill out paperwork from their company, I guess. I told them flat out no and that I wanted to wait for the cop. They were also taking pictures of my car - fine. I understand they can do that but they were also taking pictures of my licsence plate. The cop said that was okay but I do not trust him, since he lied to me about other things to protect the other driver - when hello!! I am the victim!

I want to complain so bad about this to the police station but I don't know if that is wise. I just want the insurance company to know he left the scene because that is what happened! I was thinking of saying, this police report is not accurate and then talking to someone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">