• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I have coming to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

westerberg

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was involved in an accident about two weeks ago in which a drunk driver in a Jeep Grand Cherokee rearended my car as I was waiting to make a left turn across oncoming traffic. The force of the collision (he was doing 40-50 mph by my estimate) propelled my much smaller car into oncoming traffic where it collided with a third car. The drunk driver fled the scene in his Jeep but was apprehended a short time later and charged with DUI. I was not injured, nor, to my knowledge, were any of the other participants in the accident. My car was quite severely damaged, as you might imagine, not drivable, and I would expect the other driver's insurance company to pronounce it a 'total' and simply cut me a check for its blue book value.
However, yesterday someone whose opinions I generally respect told me that the violence of the accident and the fact that the other driver was apparently drunk would work in my favor in terms of financial compensation. Is there any truth to this, and what can I expect from the at-fault driver's insurance company?

NJInjury

What are your injuries? Have you seen a doctor? Did you go to the ER? What will your long-term and permanent injuries be? Where you out of work? Are you collecting disability? What are the at-fault party's policy limits? etc.

It's not as simple as you try to make it. Insurance companies don't just cut checks for the fun of it.

You will need to file a claim with a demand letter to the at-fault party's insurance co. including all your medical records, financail losses, etc.

Another option is to have a PI attorney review your case and see if it's worth his time to take 1/3 of your settlement. He would probably sue both of the other party''s involved.

Without injuries I don't see an attorney taking much interest. Also, you have up to two years to file a claim. So, make sure you have continuous medical monitoring so if you choose to file a claim, the medical records are tied to the accident.

If any of this info is in error, I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will correct me.

Good luck.

moburkes

The property damage will pay the actual cash value of the vehicle.

Since you aren't claiming injuries what pain & suffering would you claim?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">