• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do w/ Warrent in Debt about an accident that I dont think I was involved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Minhphan

What is the name of your state? Maryland, but the the law suit is in Virginia

I just received a Warrent in Debt from the State of Virginia to settle a $15,000 debt reason "Negligent operation of motor vehicle causing injury to plaintiff". I have not been involved with any accident for the past 2 years, and I've always been insured by State Farm, that's including a $100,000 personal injury coverage, and I always let my insurance takes care of my cases. I have no clue who the person suing me is, but he/she is represented by an attorney.

Could this be a mistake? or could it be a identity thief situation?

What am i suppose to do? Virginia is an hour away from my place. Should I show up for court? Should I get an attorney? or Should I inform my insurance company and have them taking care of it for me?

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Talk to your insurnace company, see if they will provide you any legal assistance in understanding who is suing you and for an accident on what date.

It may be a mistaken identity case, but it will be much harder to fix if they get a judgement against you before you try to undo their mistake

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">