• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to expect in court...? No proof of insurance.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shefie1

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was involved in a car accident about a month ago. I was on my way to work, a car pulled out in front of me, I swerved to miss, he clipped my passenger side back tire and it pushed me across the street and into a pole. it was his fault, he got the ticket. I had no insurance. The truck is not drivable. I work in a field that works quite tight with PD. The officer on scene gave me a ticket for no proof of insurance. He told me that if I fight this, he wont show up in court. "Professional courtesy"...Anyway, I did as he said, I received the court date...what should I expect when I go in front of the judge? Will the judge question me or will he not even get to that point when he realizes the ticketing officer is not there? I still do not have insurance on my truck, its not drivable. THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!:D

LSCAP

In some departments, if you don't show proof, they are supposed to issue a ticket for "Uninsured".

I suspect the courtesy you got is a ticket for fail to show proof.
A much lower charge than than what he was supposed to charge you with: Uninsured.

If it works, you will be found guilty of fail to show proof.

And the officer might be required to appear.

moburkes

It goes a long way if your CORRECT the problem before court. You don't need to even OWN a car to have liability insurance, and in MI you and your insurance company are responsible for repairing your vehicle. You may get a suspended license, but I don't have the info readily available to me, and am too tired to look it up. Regardless of the status of your vehicle, you may be required to keep insurance for "x" number of years, for getting caught without insurance. Your license may also be suspended.

Bump this post up in the morning, and I'll look it up for you.

Betty

In Mi. it is a misdemeanor to drive your car w/o basic no-fault ins. coverage. If you are convicted of driving w/o the mandatory Mi. car ins., you may be fined up to $500.00, put in jail for a yr. or both. If you are unable to provide proof of ins., thus driving w/o ins., you may be found guilty of a civil infraction. The court may suspend your license for 30 days or until you can show proof of no fault coverage on your vehicle. They may even require you to buy a pre-paid noncancelable pol. before you can renew your vehicle's registration.
moburkes, if you have something additional to add, feel free. :)

moburkes

In Mi. it is a misdemeanor to drive your car w/o basic no-fault ins. coverage. If you are convicted of driving w/o the mandatory Mi. car ins., you may be fined up to $500.00, put in jail for a yr. or both. If you are unable to provide proof of ins., thus driving w/o ins., you may be found guilty of a civil infraction. The court may suspend your license for 30 days or until you can show proof of no fault coverage on your vehicle. They may even require you to buy a pre-paid noncancelable pol. before you can renew your vehicle's registration.
moburkes, if you have something additional to add, feel free. :)
Nope, you know you answered it all!:D

Shefie1

In some departments, if you don't show proof, they are supposed to issue a ticket for "Uninsured".

I suspect the courtesy you got is a ticket for fail to show proof.
A much lower charge than than what he was supposed to charge you with: Uninsured.

The "professional courtesy" is that he will not show up to court if I fought it. Im hearing from other places the judge will dismiss, no questions asked.

Today is court day, I'll let you know what happens. :eek:

Shefie1

not in jail... LOL:p

Lesson learned....I will NEVER be w/o insurance again!

Now, can I go after the other drivers insurance to fix my car? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">