• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is a fair settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babecat

What is the name of your state? West Virginia.

I was was rear-ended almost 2 yrs ago and am trying to settle my personal injury claim with the other party's insurance company. The deadline is fast approaching. The other party was at fault. I was checked-out at the ER and had to undergo 3 months of physical therapy on my neck and shoulders. I am not sure of the total amount for medical expenses as I was on the clock at the time of the accident on company business and the medical bills were paid by workers comp. I did not miss much time from work as my employer scheduled me off for several days following the accident. I believe the total medical expense were probably $3400-$4000. The insurance company has offered me $5000 saying that the damage to the car did not warrant more. I think that sounds low. If the state files for subrogation I will have to reimburse workers comp for the above amount. What are my options? I consulted an attorney after the wreck and she declined to accept my case.

vrzirn

You have no options. You have no permanent damages and they paid to fix you up. If you have to return the money to WC you will have to return it so do not run out and spend it.
There is no money in this situation for any attorney to pursue. A little whiplash and extended physical rehab that did not even require time lost from work is not a lawsuit.

B

babecat

Thank-you for your reply. The reasons why I did not have to miss work for my physical therapy were, one, my work schedule is very flexible and two, I had returned to college so I was only working two days a week. I am entitled to compensation in my state for pain and suffering and since I am not often involved in auto accidents, my question really should be, is how does one put an monetary value on pain and suffering?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">