• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the fault ratio?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meg

A friend of mine was killed in an accident involving her car and a school bus. I'm trying to figure out if the bus driver can be held accountable for anything? Here is the situation: my friend was on her way home from working 3rd shift, for a reason unknown she crossed the center line and hit a school bus. In the police report the bus driver stated that he didn't see her car until it was too late because he momentarily looked away from the road, so can he be held partialy responsible? The bus driver stated that he was traveling at a speed of 25 and my friends exact speed is unknown, but believed to be at about 45-50. The speed limit for this area is 45. This bus driver also has a bad reputation with the kids on his bus for being a rough driver, I personally had an encounter with him where he nearly rear ended me with the bus. This bus driver , for only going 25, as he states, ran his flat nose, engine in the front bus, right up onto my friend's car, crushing her to death. Witnesses say that my friend tried at the last second to get back to her own side, she turned her wheels sharp, but didn't make it. He hit her in the front driver's side of the car. This happened in Pennsylvania.

[Edited by meg on 01-08-2001 at 10:00 PM]

I'm sorry you've taken your friend's death so hard. There is no way based on the facts you have given that the bus driver has any kind of liability. Most likely your friend fell asleep at the wheel. Under the law your friend hit him not the other way around. This was a front end collision with both vehicles moving, the force of impact is greater than you think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">