• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if you hit another car on your own policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

princess2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS
I pulled into the driveway and clipped the corner bumper of another car I own. Will this be processed as one accident against me or two? Do I have to pay a deductible for EACH car?
Please don't be too critical. I came home from the hospital after my Dad had had a heart attack, and I just didn't turn wide enough to clear the parked car.

How will the insurance claim be processed? Would I be better off paying this out of pocket without making a claim? (I carry a $1000 deductible. I've been accident free for 15+ years, no tickets, etc...)

Any advice so I don't end up paying more in the long run?

ecmst12

You can't file a liability claim for property you own, because you can't sue yourself for damage that you caused yourself. So basically this would be two separate collision claims and the deductible would apply for each. If the damage is less the $1k for each car, there is no point to reporting it to your insurance.

princess2

If I understand correctly, then this one accident will put two accidents on my file and raise my rates? My truck damage is $3400 approx. and the other car was $1600 approx.
Should I just claim the most damaged vehicle and pay out of pocket for the lesser, so that I will have only ONE claim on my record? Will they raise my rates just as much for one claim as two?

ecmst12

No, you won't get dinged for 2 accidents because it was only ONE accident, just 2 of your cars got damaged. The number of claims doesn't matter. One incident, one surcharge.

princess2

I just wanted to say Thank You for explaining the process to me. It gave me the courage to get the person working for my insurance agent to research and tell me the same thing (two claims, one surcharge) before filing claims to repair both vehicles. Apparently, she didn't know either and we both learned something new. You were very helpful and are appreciated. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">