• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what if my passenger hospital bill end up higher than my insurance premium max?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyawang

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was involved in a car accident 70% at fault, if my passenger's bills exceed my maximum insurance limit what should i do?

I was involved in an 70% at fault accident with 2 passengers in the car. One passenger received minor injuries while the other female passenger had a broken arm and was hospitalized for one day since this happened on a weekend and orthopedics don't come in until monday. The female passenger's total hospital bills was 118,000 (i don't understand how it could be so much) and my allstate car insurance has a maximium of 50,000 per person. Right now i have multiple problems because
1. she hasn't settled claim yet because she is still recovering and she's receiving more than 10 bills totaling about 10,000 that she's asking me to pay for her.
2. the total hospital bill is much MUCH higher than my insurance policy.

what should i do? what will happen? we're both low-income students over 21....help

Additional information
I've called insurance and they mentioned something about in the case that the total cost exceed my maximum 50k, half will be paid to hospital and half will be paid to my female passenger and hospital can no longer demand more money. but i don't understand what this is called, nor how it works. What happens to the rest of the 95k that the hospital will not get after taking the 25k from allstate?

ecmst12

The hospital can't come after YOU no matter what, only the injured party can come after you. It may not be settled for a long time. The only thing you can do for now is wait and see what happens. And increase your insurance limits so this doesn't happen in the future.

The passenger can actually go after BOTH drivers and will likely collect something from the other driver as well since he was 30% at fault.

vhinrich

how exactly do you do determine who's at fault for 70% of the accident?

The hospital won't come after you but your friend might. You see, the hospital will go after your friend for rest of the balance for her treatment. Obviously, if she doesn't have the money or if she feels you are responsible for it, then you'll have to pay. If you don't pay her, she can sue you for her hospital bills.

moburkes

how exactly do you do determine who's at fault for 70% of the accident?

The hospital won't come after you but your friend might. You see, the hospital will go after your friend for rest of the balance for her treatment. Obviously, if she doesn't have the money or if she feels you are responsible for it, then you'll have to pay. If you don't pay her, she can sue you for her hospital bills.
She's going to HAVE TO sue. OP can't voluntarily pay the bills, even if we wanted to.

mrrobert

hospital bills can be negotiated

let the insurance company do their job..

let her deal with her hospital bills Not you.

her best best is to settle quickly for policy limits...as suing you will result in nothing because you are "a Turnip".

Then she can negotiate the hospital bills..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">