• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a liability limit & how does it affect me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blrmbabe

What is the name of your state? CA

On November 21st I was involved in a 3 car accident. I was the front car and had stopped due to traffic in front of me. The truck behind me was able to stop in time however the Honda behind her wasnt paying attention and didnt even try to stop. The Honda hit the truck which was pushed into me.

The damage to me car ended up costing $1,949.31, however took 2 weeks to be completed (was given a 3 day estimate). Of this amount I paid $500 (my deductable) since my insuarnce paid for the repairs and will be reimbursed later by Farmers (insurance of the at fault driver). Farmers refused to pay for or reinburse me for a rental car due to a liability limit. Since the car was only suposed to be in the shop for 3 days I decided not to rent a car. During the 2 weeks that my car was being repaired I missed 3 different temp assignments. Any one of which could have turned into a permanent possition.

I have been seeing my chiropractor 3 times a week since the accident for whiplash related injuries, however still wake up about once a week with back pain. My insurance company is also paying for these visits on the assumption that they will be reinbursed by Farmers when the claim is settled.

I recently taked to my Claims Rep. at my insurance company to try to get a feel for what I should expect in the settlement. I was told that my claim was the lesser of the two claims. This apparently affects the amount that I may be able to be reinbursed for. I was told that depending on how much of the liability limit is used by the other claim that I may only be able to get back a percentage of my deductable that I paid to have my car repaired.

My questions are:
1) What exactly is a liability limit and how is it going to affect my out of pocket expenses?
2) Is it normal for my insurance company to pay for my medical expenses and my car repair and be reinbursed later?
3) Is Farmers liable for the work that I missed due to being without a car?

Also any other information or advice you could give me would be appreciated. I've never been in an accident before and have never had to deal with insurance companies.

Thanks alot.

JETX

"What exactly is a liability limit"
*** In this case, it is the amount of liability coverage that the at fault party has.

"and how is it going to affect my out of pocket expenses?"
*** It shouldn't. If the at fault parties insurance max's out, your insurance should cover up to your limit.

"Is it normal for my insurance company to pay for my medical expenses and my car repair and be reinbursed later?"
*** Can happen. The insurance companies will then subrogate costs later.

"Is Farmers liable for the work that I missed due to being without a car?"
*** No. You don't get compensation for wages when you are not working. Or for 'missed' almost worked either. You could have gotten a rental car to mitigate the potential lost wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">