• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the limits on protecting your car from vandalism?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DynomiteWins

Hi we live in CALIFORNIA. Recently my brother took the family car to school and a classmate who harrasses him tore the hood ornament off during a lunch break (the parking lot is gated and no one leaves campus and the security guards saw no one enter the lot.) My brother purchased a new hood ornament and superglued small needle tips to around the inside of the Mercedes Benz ornament, knowing that the kid will attempt to tear it off again when he sees the replaced ornament. Are we liable for any injury should the student attempt to pull the hood ornament off and cut himself... or if another person accidentally scratches his or herself on it. My brother is under the impression that we are protecting our property and therefore can not be held liable. What is the truth in this situation?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your scenario and question have nothing to do with an "accident", as this board denotes. You are suggesting a purposeful event. As such, your post belongs on the Criminal Law board and, from the injured party's perspective, should also be on the Litigation law board (those are hints to your answer).

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">